I Am Not Making This Up

Well, there looks like I will finally make significant progress in getting my workshop organized. I visited the woodshop teacher at my son's public middle school. He said they definitely could use the Walker Turner radial drill press, and all the woodworking equipment that I don't need, including my lumber and pressboard.
I will be visiting the man donating the 3 machines today to check them out. After this, like an alcoholic keeping away from a bar, I will try to not visit craigslist, since only bad things, like more machines, can come out of it ;-)
Susan

Well, there looks like I will finally make significant progress in getting my workshop organized. I visited the woodshop teacher at my son's public middle school. He said they definitely could use the Walker Turner radial drill press, and all the woodworking equipment that I don't need, including my lumber and pressboard.
I will be visiting the man donating the 3 machines today to check them out. After this, like an alcoholic keeping away from a bar, I will try to not visit craigslist, since only bad things, like more machines, can come out of it ;-)
Susan
Does your local middle school have a wood shop class? That students can attend? And use power tools?

Does your local middle school have a wood shop class? That students can attend? And use power tools?
Yes, they have 2 separate very large rooms for woodworking classes. I will be donating my Taiwanese 14" bandsaw, Dremel variable speed scroll saw, vintage Craftsman 1/3hp pedestal grinder, dust collector, etc..
I saw the machines today. I will post pics since I am running late to an appt. I have been wanting the exact same 18" bandsaw model for the longest time, but was never able to afford it. I am kind of stunned that the owner is giving all this stuff to me. After I get to my appt, I will post better pics. The drill still has the vintage U.S. Navy label on it, lol!

Last edited:
Well that is great. I thought all the California public schools abolished all the wood and metal shop classes.

Well that is great. I thought all the California public schools abolished all the wood and metal shop classes.
So did I!! The owner lives in a small rural town that is an hour's drive away. I told him that the radial drill will be used at a middle school where a lot of the kids are low income. In San Francisco, almost all "well-to-do" families put their kids in private school, and the public schools are super underfunded where they would normally never buy a radial drill for any class.

I had a senior moment (of embarassment). Showed up at UCSF for my infusion, ad found out my appointment is tomorrow. So, since i now have time, here are pics I took.
20190408_132316.jpg
20190408_132102.jpg
20190408_133316.jpg
He had a belt cover on the drill that that was fiberglass and made from the mold of a cover that his friend had on his same model drill. I think that my kid's school probably has rules stating motor belts must be covered.

Earlier today, I vowed not to buy anymore machines. Then, in the seller's garage, I see something I've been wanting that is hard to find nowadays -- a die filer!
I nonchalantly ask if he was selling it, and he said yes, but only after he cleans it up.
20190408_133701.jpg
I am not going to ask him to sell it to me, but won't say no should he offer it to me (crossing my fingers).

Thanks for reading this guys!
Susan

Last edited:
Nice! Looks like you hit the jackpot!

The guy (woman) with the most tools wins! Dividers can be very useful, center finder for the combi-square is a very handy item. Assorted micrometers are basic tools you need a fair assortment. I've tested my relatively cheap digital caliper against my high $ micrometer and it is surprisingly good. Being able to switch between imperial and metric at the touch of a button is great. One's stuff always exceeds one's space. I also want to make gears. I think I'm going to buy a 8" rotary table with plates, 8" chucks and tail stock. I considered a dividing head but I think I'll get more use out of the RT. Not that I know what I'm doing. Jet 9x49 mill w/DRO.

Make room for that die filer! Put it in your kitchen if you have to! That’s one of those machines you think you don’t need until you get one. Then you wonder how you got along without it! Kinda like a surface grinder story. Don’t worry about the files. They can be had (a little pricey) or made.

Back