I am looking for help on Emcomat 8.4 Mill Head wiring

OmarA,

My Emcomat 8.6 has 3ph motors, therefore a photo of my connection box would not help you much, however, here is some information that may help you.

You wrote it is a single phase 120VAC motor - an induction or asynchronous motor, that has two windings (Main and Start), and needs a capacitor to start and run.

Steps to make the hook-up:

- identify the windings with a multimeter. Measure the resistance between the four wires coming out from the motor body. (In some motors there are only three wires coming out, in that case one end of each windings already connected inside the motor, but the procedure is the same).
The Main winding will have a smaller Ohm amount than the Start winding, both are in a few Ohms or a few 10 Ohms range, depending on the size of the motor. Mark these ends as you like, i.e., M1, M2, S1, S2, or just follow the markings on the circuit diagram of the manual, U and V for the Main, W and Z for the Start winding. As of now, it does not matter, which end of a coil is which one.

- identify the wires coming from the capacitor and the mains lines (Live, Neutral) from the switch. Normally, Live is black or brown, Neutral is blue. The capacitor can be any color.

- now connect one end of each winding, say U (or M1) and W (or S1), then connect this point to the Neutral wire. Then connect the other end of the Main winding (V or M2) to the Live wire. Next, connect the other end of the Start winding (Z or S2) to one side of the capacitor (either lead makes it), and finally connect the other side of the capacitor to the Live wire too. In other words, the capacitor is connected in series with the Start winding.

If you want, you can use the terminal block's respectively marked points for making these connections, but really it is not that critical, it just better visualizes the theoretical wiring. If you swapped Live and Neutral wires, no big deal, will not change anything.

As markba633csi wrote above, with that it should already run, and only the direction of the rotation may need to be reversed, in that case you need to swap the leads of the Start winding (W and Z) keeping the rest unchanged.

I have attached the pictures from my Emcomat manual (the original German version), a bit different than yours, but might give you the idea.

If you motor still does not run, you may want to have a quick check without the switch block, i.e., wire a pair of cable directly to points U (also connected to W) and V (also connected to the capacitor), and on the other end of that cable connect a standard AC plug, Live/Neutral/Earth, then plug into a wall socket. If it runs now, then something is probably faulty in the switch block.

---
EDIT: just realized this topic was started one year ago ... did not pay attention to the year... Anyhow, I hope the OP already fixed this in the meantime :)

Attachments

• p35.jpg
    p35.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 0
  • p38.jpg
    p38.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Back