Hydrostatic testing air compressor tank

I vote for the abrasive tumbling. It won't be that hard to clean out. You've already filled it with water once.
Maybe some of those ceramic things for use in vibratory tanks. The problem will be getting the ends clean, and most of the rust will be at the bottom.

Electrolysis would be a close 2nd, and would be easier. A single anode down the center is all you would need, but your DC current source will need some amps to push those electrons through a foot or more of water. Maybe a shop size rollaround charger.

I know what I'd do if it weren't for the cost. I'm basically a frugal individual, but will spend money when it will make me money. In the oilfield, nearly every API threaded tool joint get a process called "shot peened". It is a process similar to sandblasting, but is done without air pressure. Steel shot of specified size is flung against the surface of the metal to stress relieve it from the cold work that happens when threading. Various methods of propelling the shot are used, but some amount to no more than a sort of fan blades that are fed the shot and throw it with great force against the surface. The resultant surface is a matte finish but not with any sharp profile, due to the round nature of the shot. The fact that it is inside a tank is not a problem. I have had tubular parts shot peened that are as small as 2" ID and about 10 feet long. They use a hardened deflection plate to direct the shot perpendicular to the bore. So, the tank should be no problem. But, Dallas is the nearest shot peen outfit I know of, and then Houston. I know it would do a great job, but I don't want to spend the money on it.

Now another thought has presented itself. I have built vibratory deburr tubs before, and that would be probably easier than tumbling. The ceramic media isn't terribly expensive, and I have been considering building myself a vibratory tub anyway. I'd put the ceramic to use after the tank if I did that. All it takes is a motor (with good bearings) with a counterweight on the shaft and sit the entire tank on a set of springs or rubber pads or similar. Since this is a compressor, the mounting plate is already there for the motor. Hmmm...... I'm warming to this idea a bit.

Anyone else with suggestions? Keep them coming! Much appreciate the brainstorming.

Actually, NX, there is very little danger of a catastrophic rupture using this method. Since the vessel is full of water, as far as possible, the volume of air is less than 3 cubic inches by my estimates. Even if seam split, the pressure of that small volume would drop so fast that not much would be ejected, and that would have a very steep pressure drop off. That's the entire reason for using water for this test. It would, however, make a mess! NEVER use just air for this. Besides, the additional compression from the cylinder would have very little effect on the air pressure of the 120 gallon volume of the tank. In other words, you could not raise the vessel pressure much at all above where the shop air had it.

I have used this method in design verification many times with new products in the fluid filtration business, sometimes deliberately to the point of failure. 'O' rings can fail due to poor design of the seal surface, or incorrect materials selection, or a dozen other causes. Materials can be stretched until retaining rings let go. I have tested vessels up to 3000 PSI, and had several fail, but contrary to instinct, it's not very spectacular. All you usually get is a little "tink" when something moves enough to relieve the pressure. Kind of disappointed me the first time. The key is to eliminate any airspace in the system. Of course, this requires eliminating a source of additional pressure being fed into the tank. Once I had pressured the tank up to shop air pressure, it was valved off. I have even pulled a vacuum on some vessels to ensure that there is no voids. Since water is virtually incompressible, if there is any failure, the pressure falls off so sharply that there is little energy to eject either the water, or any component that may fail with much energy.

Of course, reasonable caution must be observed around any pressurized container, regardless of what it is filled with, but hydrostatic pressure testing has been a standard method for a long time and is considered to be safe.

Tony,

I don't mean to discredit your knowledge, but I do this activity for a living. Just this past week we encountered an incident in the field. Please take a look at the pictures. The bad news is 3 persons were injured but fortunately no one was killed. I do understand that the pressures one would use for testing a small air compressor tank would be relatively low in comparison, but the point I am trying to make is that people should not under estimate the intense power even at 300 PSIG. You mention a little "tink" and although sometimes that is true, more often than not the failure can be catastrophic. I'd rather a person be aware of what can go wrong and how quickly rather than thinking that the only thing that can happen is getting wet. The fitting material is 24" diameter x .562" Y-70 and the rupture occurred between 1100 and 1200 PSIG, which is about 33% of the SMYS. The test was to go to 2160 PSIG minimum, 2220 max. Most home air compressor tanks are probably less than 3/16" thick (.188) and probably made from a material with a yield strength of 36,000 or less therefore meaning a 24" OD tank would have a 100% SMYS of 564 PSIG. And if you account for any corrosion, the wall will be less and the risk potential increases.

View attachment Hydrotest Failure.zipView attachment Hydrotest Failure.zip90 failed 2.jpg90 failed 3.jpg90 failed 4.jpg90 Failed.jpg

90 failed 2.jpg 90 failed 3.jpg 90 failed 4.jpg 90 Failed.jpg

With my QC/QA background considered, I would be very interested in the RCA on that incident. Where was that elbow made and by who? How was the system evacuated to ensure there was no air or gas space left? I will stand by my statements about the processes I have used up to 3 KPSI. It's all about solid liquid fill. There can be no air space. I would suspect there was some air in that system.

By no means am I trying to downplay the dangers involved. A lot of men have been injured or killed doing pressure tests. Here in the oil patch, there are thousands of tanks/vessels and miles upon miles of high pressure piping (ASME B31.3). I've been involved in it a good deal myself. The method I described to check an air compressor tank is valid, and as safe as possible. The design of air compressor tanks is to leak before rupture, mainly due to the material choice, so the failure will drop the test pressure before a catastrophic failure or explosion occurs.

Here's a good writeup on a bad situation involving pressure testing.

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=saf&action=display&thread=4250

But again, the thought was that there was more than strictly liquid involved. If it cannot be safely determined that there are no voids or airspaces in the vessel or pipeline, then the danger escalates dramatically, and of course, respect is demanded of the danger.. Proper precautions must be observed.

With my QC/QA background considered, I would be very interested in the RCA on that incident. Where was that elbow made and by who? How was the system evacuated to ensure there was no air or gas space left? I will stand by my statements about the processes I have used up to 3 KPSI. It's all about solid liquid fill. There can be no air space. I would suspect there was some air in that system.

By no means am I trying to downplay the dangers involved. A lot of men have been injured or killed doing pressure tests. Here in the oil patch, there are thousands of tanks/vessels and miles upon miles of high pressure piping (ASME B31.3). I've been involved in it a good deal myself. The method I described to check an air compressor tank is valid, and as safe as possible. The design of air compressor tanks is to leak before rupture, mainly due to the material choice, so the failure will drop the test pressure before a catastrophic failure or explosion occurs.

Here's a good writeup on a bad situation involving pressure testing.

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=saf&action=display&thread=4250

But again, the thought was that there was more than strictly liquid involved. If it cannot be safely determined that there are no voids or airspaces in the vessel or pipeline, then the danger escalates dramatically, and of course, respect is demanded of the danger.. Proper precautions must be observed.

Currently I am not at liberty to provide certain specifics but the material was specified to be of domestic origin. The assembly is set at about a 1% slope and filled from the lower end thru a port on the bottom. The higher end has a test head with a port at the highest part and we use a tube to evacuate thru like a straw in a cup so basically there is no air entrapped, however there can be a small amount of air entrained in the water. Again the goal is to remove all air space and ensure 100% liquid. This is the third such fitting failure I've encountered in the past 8 or 9 years and I suspect there was a problem with the heat treatment as the previous two were found to have remained in the oven longer than specified due to some equipment failure. One must also keep in mind that there is a certain amount of elastisity involved with accumulated steel materials, hoses, testing equipment, etc. I will be curious as to the findings of the failure and of course with the potential for lawsuits, I often wonder if what is revealed is indeed fully true!

Agreed, when lawyers get involved with safety engineers and manufacturing, everyone is going to try to evade liability, so it's natural to have to really dig for the true story. In the case of a welded assembly like you have there I would be very concerned about the hoop stresses in the HAZ of the weld. All it would take is a welder in a hurry on a Friday afternoon, or a slip up on a Monday morning. Couple that with as you mentioned, a heat treater issue, and you have the recipe for disaster. It is curious that the failure occurred in the elbow. And inside the bend even. It's a wonder that it isn't a requirement to station cameras at strategic points for a test. That could be very revealing.

I've had to pressure test (didn't have the certification or means required) some weldments up to 20KPSI, and I thought it was really weird, as in application, the weldment was only going to see negative pressure (invasive), but the specs called for a positive pressure test. Never got a straight answer out of the engineers on that one. Never had a failure though.

Where my dad worked prior to retirement, there is a large tank for compressed air. The tank is about 6' high and over 3' in diameter. When there was a pressure test done on it a few years ago, the test people drilled a 1/4" hole partially into the side of the tank. They said it was to make a weak point in case of weakness in the tank.
My question as to Tony or Nov X is, is this a common practice to build a failure point?
Pierre

I need to say as Tony has mentioned, the safest way to pressure test is hydrostatically.

pdentrem - I know of no "failure" point built in to the assemblies we deal with. However there are safety factors in the design specified by the Federal Rules. Was the 1/4" spot fill welded after the test was completed?

Tony - The heat affected zone really has no concern until the wall thicknesses get up to about 1.125" as the way these are welded tend to stress relieve the preceding pass. Please look at the one picture where you can see the 3 pass cap. All pre, inter pass and post weld temperatures are monitored. Stress relieving is mandatory on all wall thicknesses 1-1/4" and greater but that is not saying it cannot be used on less wall thicknesses, but it mainly depends on the application as well as the material spec.

..........., the test people drilled a 1/4" hole partially into the side of the tank. They said it was to make a weak point in case of weakness in the tank................. is this a common practice to build a failure point?
Pierre

Don't know, but many high pressure cylinders like SCUBA and SCBA tanks have rupture discs as part of the valve in case of overpressure.

If you're nearby when one lets go you won't be hearing much for a while.:bitingnails:

M

Pierre, I've not seen that done, but I think I can understand the rationale behind it, although I don't think I would do it. If it were an air test, and things went wrong, it would be bad regardless of where the rupture started. A weak spot deliberately placed would prevent a failure elsewhere. Unless someone really got serious about how, exactly where, and what size, dept, and surface finish the hole was, it would not seem to be a reliable method. A off the shelf pop-off valve would be more appropriate, and certainly simpler and easier to do.

NX, we have several refineries and chem plants in the area, with lots of vessels and piping, and standard procedure is to run the hot pass at the root by your best man, TIG these days for the most part, then lots of filler with needle scalers at work between passes if done with stick. My concern about hoop stresses was based on the welder and his technique and rod selection as well as the HAZ. If done wrong, and obviously something was bad wrong for that failure at such a low pressure, it can cause a failure in the weld itself or the HAZ, as the tensile strength of the weld buildup is affected as much or more than the base material. But I'm sure you know all about that, probably more than I. And yes, I noticed the cap welds. Pretty standard stuff.

Back