Hydraulic pump addon 78 Kubota L225

DavieJ75

Registered
Registered
I am working on a hydraulic addon for my kubota tractor. I was able to buy a backhoe at an auction about 5 years ago and made an adapter system to mount it. The on board hydraulics are only made for the 3 point. But some one prior to me and my dad owning the tractor added an after market front loader and they cut into the hydraulics. You can stall the tractor with the loader. The little built in pump is driven off the back side of the injector pump. Which is not cool.

I will try to get some pictures. I am working on making an adapter and shaft to run to a hydraulic pump off the front spline of the engine. Just so happens that a former employer was making a front blower for kubota engines and I was able to get a splined adapter. I then did every thing backwards in making the adapter to a keyed shaft. I welded a piece of round stock to the spline adapter, then lathed the pieces round, burning up several bits in the process as the weld was super hard. Then bored the round stock to 3/4" piece an 1.5" deep in steps. Then using a parting tool blade held in my cross slide, I slowly cut in the keyway for the shaft. Took me days and very frustrating.

Why I didn't find this site before then I will not know. Just reading through other threads on here, different projects but much better ideas on process. I would have made the shaft adapter piece first. Made sure they were all round. Cut in rim to fit and align the two parts. Then clamp and weld it.

I am currently building shims to mount the steady bearings for the shaft and then a mount for pump. Once thats mounted off to princess for more parts and hopefully get a working hydraulics in the next little bit.

That should work for live hydraulics. Running it off the injector pump is a good way to destroy an expensive part. Kubota parts are more pricy than John Deere. Some engines are set up to run a power take off from the engine gear train that runs the cam and injector pump. That type of set up works out well. Have seen some run a pump off the rear power take off ,but it always seems to be in the road if you want to use the pto for something else. Make sure and use a filter on the return line to the sump or tank. The M9540D Kubota uses a stacked two gear pumps with an open center system. All ready have had to replace it at about 2500 hours. Looking forward to pictures of your project. We all love pictures.

We all love pictures.
Especially of those Kubota's ! :encourage: I've been looing for a back hoe for my 7510 for a while . I don't want a 3 point set-up and that's all I'm finding .

Welcome to the site.
I have I believe its an L3000 DT. The loader hydraulics run off the tractor pump. The relief valve on your controls must be set too high if it will stall the engine.
Same as you I added a pump off the front of mine to run a backhoe. That spline is a Kubota propitiatory part, had to get the female part from them. I welded a roller chain sprocket to it then a sprocket on either end of a tube for a drive shaft then a sprocket to a keyed adaptor for the pump. The sprockets were then tied together with a loop of double roller chain to make couplings.
Same idea as this.
Unknown.jpeg
The engine and pump are in alignment but I wanted a little wiggle room. Been running like that for 20 years now.

Greg

I have an ok idea on what I’m doing with the hydraulic system as a whole I will come back here before I commit.

On this model there is a frame brace right in front of the engine so I had to make an adapter. Otherwise I would have used some thing similar to the chain coupler. As for the spline adapter the company I worked for makes them. We rotary broached them.

The backhoe is an older one so it used two hard mount points at the bottom that I have made hook plates for and two pins on top to secure. I have to remove my 3 point to have the plates on the tractor so I may not have thought that one through.

I will see if I can grab pics tomorrow of the mods I have done.

Run it off of the PTO no need to run it all the time only when using the hoe

Back