hydraulic cylinders

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
has anyone made hydraulic cylinders, is it hard and where to get parts, this will be for riding lawn mower thanks :biggrin: Mac

They are not too hard to make, but a small cylinder can be had pretty cheap from many different suppliers. Another place is the surplus guy on Ebay. I also used to get small cylinders from a company called Bimba. They were pnuematic but they offered all kinds. Worth a look anyway, before you spend a bunch of time making one.
Bob

Thanks Jim,
That vendor is the one I was refering to but couldnt remember their name. They have a ton of stuff, You just gotta know what to ask for.
Bob

thanks much guys, i wanted to build one to see if i could do it, i got a ford lgt which has a 14hp kohler which is a work horse. i built a 3 point hitch a cple yrs back for it and relocated the deck cylinder to work on the hitch and it does great, i got a small 1 bottom breaking plow i use for the garden, i'm in the process of making a grader blade for the back of it which should be done by summer, and the next attachment will be a lift bucket for the front, this is where the cylinders come in :biggrin: Mac

Doing the machining is pretty straight forward. The trick will be the seals. you would like to have no leak through. Otherwise when you have your bucket up you will have to have the valve suppling pressure to keep it in position. For the bucket application you will need a double acting cylinder. Remember your force is area x pressure and your rod decreases area. If you go with o-ring seals look for Buna-N ones they have a higher temp rating. The cross section or durometer should be as wide as you can get. I,m not sure how many to go with. also you will need a seal at the rod end. You will need a very high finish on the inside of the cylinder and on the rod. Sounds like a neat project. They actually did use leather for sealing back in the old days.

its funny you said leather i have a old john deere cylinder here with screw off ends and the end seals are made of leather, i think its off a b model, saved it from the farm, going to try and get away with 2 cylinders 1 to raise centered of the bucket arms and one to dump the bucket. scoop is not going to be over 40 inches wide and maybe 30 inchs deep, my biggest concern is this is going to run off the hydrostatic rearend will i need a oil resvoir or will the oil in the rear end be enough once the cylinders are full, only need the bucket to lift about 24 inches if that and then a 12inch tilt of bucket, i guess my next question would be how long the ram and how long the housing, thanks much mac

its funny you said leather i have a old john deere cylinder here with screw off ends and the end seals are made of leather, i think its off a b model, saved it from the farm, going to try and get away with 2 cylinders 1 to raise centered of the bucket arms and one to dump the bucket. scoop is not going to be over 40 inches wide and maybe 30 inchs deep, my biggest concern is this is going to run off the hydrostatic rearend will i need a oil resvoir or will the oil in the rear end be enough once the cylinders are full, only need the bucket to lift about 24 inches if that and then a 12inch tilt of bucket, i guess my next question would be how long the ram and how long the housing, thanks much mac

It depends on how you set it up. Your not talking about very big cylinders. So you won't have alot more oil if you are going to be going over a relief valve that generates a lot of heat. Not good for the hydrostatic. The more oil you have the cooler everything will run. What kind of valve are you going to use? The length of the ram will depend on where you mount it and how your arms for the bucket are articulated. I would build the ram last. once you have everything else done with mounting points then do your measurements for ram length stroke of your ram will give you length of cylinder. do you have a pto you can always mount a pump off that for the hydraulics. Some of the old garden tractors also had a front direct drive.

no pto, i wished though, my deck was hydraulic and it was tied into the pump that works the rear end, i may be able to add a pump on the side and run it off the clutch pulley, guess i will fig that out when i get to it lol

It appears there are a lot of folkout there with good knowledge of hydraulics. Is it possible to maybe start an hydraulics 101 on this site? things like pumps, motors, cylinders etc. can provide excellent engineering opportunities, and those in the know just seem to rattle off the parts required. I would like to be able to walk into a parts shop and know what to ask for, particularly with two hydraulic projects in mind, a small vehicle for my grandchidren to ride on powered by small hydraulic motors, and a lift to bring stuff from my drive to the house about 12 feet up. Currently I have found little assistance on the web that doesn't assume some knowledge of parts. So my challenge is come on guys,can you make hydraulics projects easy for us?

Back