How's this for a freebie?

lpeedin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Was telling my brother-in-law about the vintage drill press I picked up last week and he said he had a belt sander I could have if I just came & got it. I was expecting maybe 30-40 lbs if it was a bench top. This is what he left under his shelter on a wheel truck. I managed to load it in my Scion, but definitely not a simple task.

It's a model 400-W which I assume the W stand for "wet" since it has a mister pointed towards the belt and a drain. It came with 6 new belts.

Not sure of the benefits of wet sanding, but I'm sure I can find a place & use for it in my shop.

The work rest is not stock, so I'll be researching to see what the original looked like.

epy4epap.jpg

uty2y7y4.jpg

juhypubu.jpg

apype9ys.jpg

y4a3emy9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's nice when thies little treasures come along especially when there free, Congratulations....!:))

Glass is ground wet. This might have been for finishing the contours of car windows,or something like that. I have no idea. Hammond made machines for the printing industry,but I don't know if they made other things. I have seen a much larger wet sander for glass work. Can't recall what make it was,though.

On high class belt sanders,the platen is sometimes made of carbide. Hopefully yours is.

Glass is ground wet. This might have been for finishing the contours of car windows,or something like that. I have no idea. Hammond made machines for the printing industry,but I don't know if they made other things. I have seen a much larger wet sander for glass work. Can't recall what make it was,though.

On high class belt sanders,the platen is sometimes made of carbide. Hopefully yours is.

Will check out the platen & determine what it is made of. Was going to put one of the new belts on, but I'll have to remove the work rest first.

Nice score!
Is that bench top solid plate or folded sheet metal?

Cheers Phil

Phil, I'm not really sure right now, but will check when I go back to the shop.

Congrats on your new sander.

A vertical belt sander is on my list of things to get someday.

Chris

That looks great for a freebie!
When can I pick it up?
:p:D:cool:

Seriously nice score bro!

Jake Parker

There isn't much better than free in my book!!!
great score!!!
the wet feature is nice.
now you can grind you own HSS lathe bits without burning your fingers!!!!

Hammond made machines for the printing industry,but I don't know if they made other things.

I was familiar with Hammond grinders since I have a universal vise from their cutter grinder:
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=13791

I learned something new today. They manufactured saws for sawing lead type for the printing industry. :
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=1262

Here's a link to a Hammond 400 BDD belt sander:
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=12944

Back