How would you machine this part without a lathe?

• I would spin it in the mill and hold a cutter in the vise.
  • take a block of AL drill a hole in the block for the screw (undersize). Continue the drilling for a dowel pin (shaft for your collet).
  • band saw the block from the bottom of the block to the bolt head , then saw perpendicular to the bolt head stopping point.
  • clear out the block for the head, and the sawed off piece.
  • then create 2 clamping screws to hold the sawed off part back on as a clamp.
  • Clamp the bolt in the 2 parts, mount in the collet, and use your table to remove material.
  • use a block under the cutter in your vise to hold the tool from rocking. I would shape the cutter to have a shearing cut.
Now you just remove the 2 screws, replace the screw, rinse and repeat.
Do I need to draw pics, or was that clear enough?

Last edited:
Rotate the head on the mill 90 degrees (if you can) and you have a lathe.

Don

All good suggestions, but for doing a 100+ of these I would just get another lathe. That would be the simplest, quickest and easiest.

Cheers Phil

In a CNC hold the bolt vertically (using a pre-positioned v-block) with the bolt head on the bottom of the vise (or on a parallel). Load an end mill of appropriate size (looks like 3/8 should do it), set X,Y to center of bolt and Z to 0 at top of bolt. Cut an outside circle (profile of the circle you need) at the proper depth. Load next bolt to pre-positioned v-block and run program again.

I have this job about twice a year to machine the end of the bolt as in the picture. Approximately 100 at a time. It was simple enough to do on my lathe. But now the lathe has been sold.

How would you machine this bolt with only a manual or cnc milling machine? I do have a 4th axis and a 5c cam collet fixture.

If at all possible the setup and run has to be simple and easy. The tolerances are very loose. 3-5 thou.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks to the membership in advance.

I don't know how to add pictures to my post. I only have this link.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/QSTpKzOTfLQdX6kuSuVAK7ghp5sFbacNnMNOIXkoR71

Rod in San Francisco

I would think that 200 parts per year would justify getting another lathe, but if that's out of the question, all of the ideas posted will work, take your pick.

I have this job about twice a year to machine the end of the bolt as in the picture. Approximately 100 at a time. It was simple enough to do on my lathe. But now the lathe has been sold.

How would you machine this bolt with only a manual or cnc milling machine? I do have a 4th axis and a 5c cam collet fixture.

If at all possible the setup and run has to be simple and easy. The tolerances are very loose. 3-5 thou.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks to the membership in advance.

I don't know how to add pictures to my post. I only have this link.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/QSTpKzOTfLQdX6kuSuVAK7ghp5sFbacNnMNOIXkoR71

Rod in San Francisco

You could easily use a hollow mill (similar to a counter bore with the pilot removed) One could be made from bar stock using a short lathe tool in a slot and adjusting it until you reach size. Once set it should repeat and could even be used in a drill press.

Dick

I wanted to thank everybody who chimed in with suggestions.
I also wanted to apologize for not being able to respond to your post in a timely manner.

Right after posting my question to the membership, I had back surgery.

Needless to say, I was in no position to respond intelligently while I recover in the hospital, and now back at home.

I hope to get back to working on my projects in the near future to try all the wonderful ideas and suggestions from the membership.

Rod in San Francisco

Back