How would I Convert SB9"B" to model "A" with quick change gear box?

I'd love to do it, but finding the parts at the right price are the challenge. I really don't want to spend more than $300 for the whole shooting match, apron, QC, lead screw, etc. Which i know is a tall order. I'll just keep my eyes open and wait.

I converted my model C to an A by following those instructions given you. I bought a QCGB and lead screw for mine and that was all it took. Drilling the hole for the extra hole to hold the QCGB was aided by the use of my Dremel grinder. I didn't have the right size counterbore so I improvised with a drill I ground for the job. It didn't quite make the hole the right size so I had to Dremel it out a little. The QCGB I got works great. I didn't change the apron on the machine because I don't do that much facing with my machine. Boot

Don't you need the apron for the thread dial? Or is there a way to improvise a thread dial, you know the one that comes around to time your reengagement.

In the past, when threading, I could not disengage the half nut or I would lose my place.

So the procedure would be to take the first pass, stop the machine, back off the tool, reverse the machine by hand back to the beginning, feed in tool, start second pass. A major PITA.

I think that's worse than having to change the gear sets. Actually i would rather have to change the gear sets than futz with that procedure to produce a thread. I've done it, but its tedious.

All aprons have a hole already drilled in them to accept a thread dial. Also a tapped hole to put a set screw in to hold the thread dial either engaged with the lead screw or disengaged from the lead screw. The thread dial is the the only way that is easy to thread parts. In our machine shop we always used even numbers on the thread dial for even numbered threads "ie. 16, 12, 6, 8 / inch and odd numbers on dial for odd number of threads on part "ie 13, 11, 11 1/2 and so forth . Try it you'll like it. Hope this answers your question. Boot.

The thread dial would make life a lot easier. Changing the gears aint quite so bad.

OK, so where can i get a thread dial? Is it a southbend part or are there generic ones i can buy? This is all new to me.

Marcel

The thread dial would make life a lot easier. Changing the gears aint quite so bad.

OK, so where can i get a thread dial? Is it a southbend part or are there generic ones i can buy? This is all new to me.

EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-THREAD-...424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ce0ba640 I just spotted the hole on my apron. So if I just get one of these, I should be golden. Right?

Marcel

EDIT again: I just ordered the thread dial. This is exciting. :))

Last edited:
The apron on the pic does not have a power feed selector lever or a clutch knob, just a half nut lever. It looks like a change gear type or "C" type if you perfer. So for power feed you would need a apron. See my 9A pic.
Paul

i am old but the blue lathe i see in the photo has a clutch knob and a power feed selecter

Am i missing something ?????

Back