How to Unload/Unbox new 14x40 lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the figuring out of various steps needed for tooling and the setting up necessary to successfully machine various parts (Yak shaving, speeds & feeds and tool geometry) to achieve the results that causes people to assume they know how to be successful at rigging.

Not everyone is a polymath.

Rigging is a completely different skill set.
I'm very comfortable Rigging even if I don't enjoy that sort of work.
Machining is where I get excited and know that I'm completely uncomfortable doing it...but it intrigues me...and I usually suck at it. But I am learning and getting more knowledge as I go. (New discipline that I enjoy). However, so long as I remember the basic safety protocols, (don't leave keys in chucks, safety glasses and keep my hands out of trouble) I'm fairly safe with what I'm doing.
It's lower powered stuff. Lower energy potentials most of the time...not always but mostly.

Rigging is very different, lots of potential energy held static or moving that potential energy. And that potential energy will be explosive should it be accidentally released. (Broken straps, bent steel, and etc) a broken strap will remove a finger from snapping under strain to the fail rate. Even chains and shackles have caused injuries because people use them beyond their ratings.

And from reading some of these posts of new equipment purchased and installed I'm wondering if some of these people damaged their new toys by improperly Rigging them....runout increases of 4 thou or more is not as noticeable as a bent screw. But that momentary lift by the ways could easily do it even if it was by the head. Just depends on what was done and the size/weight.

Rigging is a lower knowledge base skill...it doesn't take much to learn it by people who understand the basics of mechanical engineering....but those bent engine hoists are telling me people aren't taking the time to learn them. Hence the words of caution.
Between the penny pinching and the "it'll be foiyn" attitudes it's a wonder that people are surviving the hobby. Rigging isn't much different than firearm safety...easy, simple, and non negotiable. But we often only hear about firearm accidents.

You may be the only ordinary fellow I have ever seen use that word.
I know it and can tell you when and where I learned it:
Will & Ariel Durant's 'The Story of Civilization"
Book 7 "The Age of Reason Begins"
Durant referred to Francis Bacon as polymathic.
I looked it up in the dictionary. About 1987
I read the others but petered out after that volume.
But perhaps I have insulted you?
Calling a fellow who knows words And rigging ordinary...
Anyway,
It put a smile on my face and made wading through the sour grapes in this thread worthwhile.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back