How to Size a Rotary/Horizontal Table

Thats is a sweet looking adapter plate. How much room does it eat up? Do you have a plan for maybe using a large plate and bigger chuck? Looks like it would fit with room to spare.
Bob

I think I started with a 1.25 inch thick plate. So by the time I cut the pilots in I am around 1.0 thick. No Bob, I really do not have plans for anything larger. But, I think you are correct, I have room to expand should the need arise.

I think I started with a 1.25 inch thick plate. So by the time I cut the pilots in I am around 1.0 thick. No Bob, I really do not have plans for anything larger. But, I think you are correct, I have room to expand should the need arise.
A thought on lifting the RT . I used a barn door track bolted to my cealing and with. The hangers all rated to about 400 Lbs it is no problem to pick up my Bridgeport 12" Using a small block and tackle. An 8' foot track gives me room to
get any heavy piece on the table without getting hurt.

I have 8" today
I have try up 12" was way to heavy and 6" was to small to do any with.
If need a bigger table I just add plate to the top of rotary table.
Just thing of using when your 70
Today I keep ever thing small in my shop.

Good luck
Dave

I am in the market for a rotary/horizontal table. How do I size it properly? I was originally thinking a 10 inch but now find myself questioning that choice. These suckers are heavy. Would an 8 inch be better? Currently I do not have a designated project for it, but am thinking that I would use one a lot. Sure would like your input.

Dang Randy that adapter plate looks great!
I think unless you have a specific or regular need for larger your 8" was a good choice.
My Troyke is a 9" Seems like its about 45 lbs +/- Not too bad but I certainly think twice before breaking it out!

I have a 12" German rotary table that takes 2 men to lift. My heaviest is a German 10" tilting rotary table. It must weigh close to 200#. It really is a very heavy duty model.

Back