How to Sharpen Twist Drills - A Skill Every Machinist, Every Drill Owner Should Know!

Id love to learn how to sharpen endmills. As a hobby person or even if it were a small business job shop the money save over buying new tools would be well worth it.

Id love to learn how to sharpen endmills. As a hobby person or even if it were a small business job shop the money save over buying new tools would be well worth it.
Howard Hall has some info on sharpening end mills on his web site, and also has a book on tool sharpening. I'm partway into making a variation of his end mill sharpening fixture, although it just sharpens the bottom, not the sides. My version uses a differential screw to advance the end mill in finer increments than his does. His design doesn't use collets so you have to make holders for all the different shank sizes you've got.

His web site has some updates regarding some of the projects in his book. One of the better ones is replacing the fixed tool-rest mounting scheme with a pair of magnetic bases. If going with a mag-base approach, be sure to get a steel plate that's thick enough to produce the full hold-down force. Using thin steel reduces the force. Though it might be necessary to occasionally remove swarf "fuzz" from them.

He also has some comments regarding typos so if you make something from his book, be sure to check his web site first.

this works well for me. of course you need a surface grinder
aktooling.com

Howard Hall has some info on sharpening end mills on his web site, and also has a book on tool sharpening. I'm partway into making a variation of his end mill sharpening fixture, although it just sharpens the bottom, not the sides. My version uses a differential screw to advance the end mill in finer increments than his does. His design doesn't use collets so you have to make holders for all the different shank sizes you've got.

His web site has some updates regarding some of the projects in his book. One of the better ones is replacing the fixed tool-rest mounting scheme with a pair of magnetic bases. If going with a mag-base approach, be sure to get a steel plate that's thick enough to produce the full hold-down force. Using thin steel reduces the force. Though it might be necessary to occasionally remove swarf "fuzz" from them.

He also has some comments regarding typos so if you make something from his book, be sure to check his web site first.
Harold Hall is the name I believe.

Back