How to Sharpen Brazed Carbide Tooling - And why it still has a place even with Inserts

Seems like you need to compare same tip radius, rake angle, chipbreaker and ground not molded insert.
Fair point. Did not mean to imply a perfect comparison. Was trying to compare the option of sharpening vs a couple of common inserts that the average hobby shop likely has on hand. CCMT and CCGT or something similar. Just trying to show that braised carbide gives you versatility without having to invest in several more insert types and holders.

Great video. He only just barely mentioned what i think is the biggest advantage of brazed over inserts.

inserts need heavy feeds and deep cuts. brazed carbide work much better with light cuts and fine feeds. often need this for fine finish work on one of parts.
Could not agree more. Guess I could have emphasized more. Tried to show this with the .002” cut. I don’t currently have a boring bar to hold brazed carbide but plan to make one. Boring is where I really find they work well with a light cut, better finish and less deflection than I typically get with inserts. I think making a new boring bar to hold 1/4” brazed carbide just became my next project. I will be sure to demo that when it is done. Thanks.

here's a trade secret - Everede boring bars are CHEAP on ebay

Get a carbide tool bit for the bar and it lasts FOREVER

Super finish. Can grind grooves or threading.
Plan to make one something like that, but will hold ¼ or 3/8 brazed carbide.

I must be either a barbarian or lazy, in 40+ years, I’ve never sharpened a brazed or insert carbide lathe tool, I use them as they come. I’ve never felt the need or ran into an issue, where I thought they needed sharpening.

I must be either a barbarian or lazy, in 40+ years, I’ve never sharpened a brazed or insert carbide lathe tool, I use them as they come. I’ve never felt the need or ran into an issue, where I thought they needed sharpening.
I don’t sharpen inserts they are 1 and done. Brazed carbide is good for many uses. Maybe not a barbarian but maybe could have saved some money and used the brazed carbide longer?

I started grinding brazed carbide tools for production lathe work when I was 18 years old In 1953. Back then there was not a lot of inserts like today. Now you can get groove tools, trepan tools , tools with different chip breakers different corner radius , diamond tips ,ceramic tips, etc. Another thing back in the day when you ordered a tool even if the tool was made or sold within 50 miles of you it might take 2 or more weeks to get it. So if you needed it now you made it .
Even today when I use a new brazed tool I sharpen it first.

Had someone ask how I dressed my Silicon Carbide Grinding wheel, so here is a really short video showing my process. I just use a diamond dresser to get it back in shape and finish it with a standard star dresser to open it up. I find the star dresser leaves a better rougher finish for grinding my Brazed Carbide.

Back