How to Sharpen Brazed Carbide Tooling - And why it still has a place even with Inserts

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
Saw a few discussion threads about sharpening and using Brazed Carbide, so I thought I would share my thoughts on sharpening them and why I think they still have a key role to play in the modern shop even with all the inserts available.

Especially in a hobby shop, I can't afford to buy a special insert and holder for every special tooling need that comes up. I love inserts for a lot of things, and sometimes I just need to grind a custom tool and Brazed Carbide lets me do that in a hurry and very cost effective manner.

I also compare surface finish of a sharpened Brazed Carbide tool with a CCMT and a CGMT Insert.

If you have never sharpened and used brazed carbide tools before you may find this short video helpful. If you have used Brazed Carbide, feel free to share your tips as well to help others out.

Edit: corrected spelling of Brazed.

Last edited:
More often than not I get better results with brazed carbide tools but, I started with HSS and
brazed carbides when inserts were the new stuff that was way outta my price range
and some times still is for decent results in use, some of the cheap stuff is OK and some is just cheap....YMMV

I use hss and I only have one insert tool so when I broke all of the inserts I now use brazed carbide a lot I have one about 10 inches long 1 inch shank but most that I have are ground into radius tools but the largest my tool post holds is 3/8 80% of my tooling is 1/2 inch so I don’t use much of it. Good tips!

Saw a few discussion threads about sharpening and using Brazed Carbide, so I thought I would share my thoughts on sharpening them and why I think they still have a key role to play in the modern shop even with all the inserts available.

Especially in a hobby shop, I can't afford to buy a special insert and holder for every special tooling need that comes up. I love inserts for a lot of things, and sometimes I just need to grind a custom tool and Brazed Carbide lets me do that in a hurry and very cost effective manner.

I also compare surface finish of a sharpened Brazed Carbide tool with a CCMT and a CGMT Insert.

If you have never sharpened and used brazed carbide tools before you may find this short video helpful. If you have used Brazed Carbide, feel free to share your tips as well to help others out.

Your video is well made and informative.

Seems like you need to compare same tip radius, rake angle, chipbreaker and ground not molded insert.

Great video. He only just barely mentioned what i think is the biggest advantage of brazed over inserts.

inserts need heavy feeds and deep cuts. brazed carbide work much better with light cuts and fine feeds. often need this for fine finish work on one of parts.

Back