[How-To] How to remove the pulley from the headstock of an Atlas/Clausing MK-2 6" Model 10100 lathe?

Speedly

Registered
Registered
Good evening! Thanks for your time in advance.

I inherited a Clausing/Atlas 6" model 10100 lathe from my grandfather, and I like it a lot. I'd like to not damage it, hence why my question is here!

I'd like to get the pulley off of the headstock spindle, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do so. The snap ring is easy to spot, but then there's another metal ring/collar that sits in the way of the pulley. There don't appear to be any set screws/wrench flats/spanner holes/etc. to use to unthread anything. The threads inside the spindle bore seem to imply that one should use a puller of some kind, but as far as I'm concerned, attempting that is relegated to either a last resort, or at least not to be tried until I've been specifically advised to do so.

Can anyone tell me how to properly do this?

If there's any other questions that need answered (I'm sure I've left out some relevant info due to my newness to this), just let me know and I'd be happy to jump right on it.

Thanks!

To answer your question, because the banjo is in bad shape and the 16/32 tooth compound gear needs to come out to install a new banjo. (Maybe he dropped something on the handle - I don't know, but the casting has a crack in it and I know that won't work forever). The pulley is in the way of making this happen - there isn't enough space between the end of the shaft and the back of the pulley to get the compound gear out.

If you know how to otherwise get this gear out without removing the pulley, please let me know! I'd like to take an easier path if it's possible!

(Plus, knowing how to get the pulley off might be helpful in the future if something different goes wrong and I need to get back in there.)

Welcome. Do you have an exploded view of your machine? Is there a woodruff key between your spindle and pulley? Years of oils getting in between parts and drying out can really booger things up. Keep wet with kerosene to help break down the schmoo. Take your time, DON'T use a puller, post some pics for these guys and wait for someone to correct what I have said. It's a busy time of year so patience is your friend. The guys here are great. They are helpful and have a wealth of information/knowledge. Keep your parts wet until you decide a course of action.

Pulley? Something sounds off here. On most lathes there is a threaded collar which unscrews then gears can be removed.
A picture really would help
Edit: never mind, I recognize the model now- see post #10
The gear is trapped by the pulley, pulley must come off first

Last edited:
Pics would definitely clear this up. I believe op is trying to get the pulley of the spindle and the spacer next to the pulley is stuck in place.

The forum software prevented me from posting this picture in the original post, apologies. I'll try again here. If you see a picture below, you'll know it worked this time!

The ring I'm talking about is just behind the snap ring, in the counterbore (is that the right word?) of the pulley.
To answer another question, I found this PDF of what I believe is the original manual. It doesn't... look like there's a key? I could be wrong though.

Edit: woo! Uploading the picture worked this time!

Attachments

• 20221216_173458.jpg
    20221216_173458.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
There should be a key so the pulley can drive the spindle. I would expect that grunge is preventing the pulley from slipping off. Keep working at it with WD40 or kerosene to loosen the grunge. Try rotating the pulley back and forth to work the solvent into the bore. If it were mine, I would try a gear puller with gentle force. Pull a little on the gear and douse with solvent and tap pack with a soft face hammer or block of wood and a hammer. Repeat this operation multiple times. You will see more and more movement with each iteration and finally, it will pop off.

Edit: if there were another retention mechanism, they wouldn't have used the snap ring.

I have one of these machines also. The headstock design is somewhat unusual.
You need to remove the snap ring, then the sliding collar (be careful there is a steel ball that might go flying) then remove the woodruff key.
Then there is a second snap ring behind the collar, remove that and the pulley comes off.
There may be burrs on the spindle from the snap ring(s) that may have to be carefully smoothed down with a file. That's most likely giving you some difficulty. The sliding collar might be stuck also- it might be corroded, bent, or otherwise hung up. It should move in and out freely.
On page 10 of the PDF from post #8 you can see parts detail-

Normal turning: The power transfer goes as follows: The V-belt turns the step pulley, the step pulley engages with the sliding collar by means of engagement lugs. The collar is keyed to the spindle and turns it. The collar has a ball and spring mechanism to hold it in position axially. (pushed in or pulled out)

Back Gear: When the collar is pulled out the step pulley turns free of the spindle. A gear on the step pulley engages the back gear which then engages the bull gear to the right of the step pulley. The bull gear is keyed to the spindle and turns it.

Last edited:
Back