How To Remove Cross Slide

Ok, I figured it out. I had to remove the taper slide then unbolt the taper attachment and slide it off the back. Once I did that all I had to do was unscrew the lead screw.

Since I'm this far in, I think i'm going to take the apron all the way off as well. Everything is so caked with grease and grime. That grease and grime is galling the sliding surfaces so it needs to go.

Anyone see any issue with me dropping the whole apron into a tub of simple green and letting it soak for a few hours then hosing it off?

Don't do that!!! Take it completely apart and clean. You may find a bearing or two that may need replacing. The Bijur oil pump needs cleaning, too.

You take that apron and dunk it into a cleaning vat without taking it apart is opening a can of worms! You going to get crud, shavings, etc. into every bearing in that apron. Just not advisable to do.

By taking apart the apron, you get to learn all about it, too!

This is the reason for taking apart your apron.

DSCN2533.JPG

DSCN2536.JPG

DSCN2540.JPG

DSCN0003.JPG

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0010.JPG

DSCN0034.JPG

I would suggest a good soaking in solvent before something water based.

My preference is kerosene as it is cheep

Point taken, I haven't actually opened it up right yet, but based on the rest of the lathe it probably looks similar to what yours did. I'm assuming that was Glyptol you used to paint the inside?

What tools am I going to need to take apart the gears and bearings? All I have is a 2 arm gear puller which I don't think is going to cut it?

Point taken, I haven't actually opened it up right yet, but based on the rest of the lathe it probably looks similar to what yours did. I'm assuming that was Glyptol you used to paint the inside?

What tools am I going to need to take apart the gears and bearings? All I have is a 2 arm gear puller which I don't think is going to cut it?
You probably will not need much to take it apart. May or may not need a puller. Pay attention to things like hidden pins that get shear off from dis-assembly. My Sheldon lathe has two of these hidden pins! Leblond, I've never had one apart. I recall dad saying they weren't too bad to take apart. What ever you do, don't use brute force to get things out. They make these aprons where they can be easily worked on. Just take your time and pay attention to little details. Most are very straight forward to take apart.
Ken

.....snip....... I'm assuming that was Glyptol you used to paint the inside?..........snip.......
Rustoleum red primer. L & S may have used Glyptal originally, but I doubt it. They used some kind of cream color looking paint originally. No lead based paint was used by 1954 by L & S. Pretty much oil based or lacord based paints by then. Same with my Sheldon lathes I have, too.

Back