How to Modify a Tap?

On My spring follower you can turn the extended bar around and there is a concave alternative to the pointed end

On My spring follower you can turn the extended bar around and there is a concave alternative to the pointed end

This one has that feature too.

But as I said previously, the "concave" end is really tiny. While it looks pretty big in the close-up, the hole is only 0.075".

guide.jpg

Si if you did a center drill in the end of the tap you could then flip the follower to the point end and be good.

Si if you did a center drill in the end of the tap you could then flip the follower to the point end and be good.

That was my original intent. I just didn't know how feasible that was. From what's been said in this thread it seems like using a carbide drill/endmill will do just that.

Why not put a point on the tap?

That's been covered on page 1, Ed. That seems like more work than just popping a small dimple in the flat end and more likely to have some concentricity issues.

I have been in the same situation with taps. Kinda aggravating. I also have problems using the t handle tap wrench on my mill. There just isn't enough height for everything.
Joe

I haven't made the Joe Pie tap handles. I use the smallest Starrett tap handle and grip the tap about the middle of the shank. Put the end of the shank in your drill chuck and grip it loosely. That will guide the tap.

Back