[How-To] How to make your own hardness tester.

tonyfoale

Registered
Registered
I needed a hardness tester to test the hardness of cylinder heads and other engine components.
Years ago, sales reps would give garages and reconditioning shops a simple tester based on the Shore rebound principle. I made a copy of those for myself but I was disappointed with it because it was too fast to get repeatable results by visual observation. I then made a more sophisticated version which replaced my poor old man's observational skills with electronics and an Arduino.
Then when preparing this post I saw how the use of a camera or smart phone could turn the original version into a really useful instrument. This multi-disciplinary post describes both versions. There is mechanical, electronic, programming and simple maths content but the original version only uses the mechanical, so do not be frightened off if electrons bring you out in a rash.

These really need to be seen in action so I prepared two videos, part 1 describes the mechanical stuff and discusses hardness testing in general and part 2 looks at the electronics (very simple). Part 2 also shows a way to make a very simple tester with the electronics replaced by a mobile phone or other camera.

However, video is not the best format in which to present schematics and programmes so I have also prepared a PDF file. The PDF contains the Arduino coding which can be used to make your own hardness tester.

Here is the PDF: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/tony_foale_hardness_tester.pdf

Watch part 1 before part 2. I suggest watching on Youtube to see it full size and right through until the end.
Note that the infrared diodes in the schematic in the videos are shown reversed, but the schematic in the PDF file is correct.

----------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
The link appears to be broken...

@tonyfoale More specifically, the link to the PDF file is broken. Just tried it. Can you fix it? Thanks.

For those who many not be familiar with the sclerescope hardness tester, it uses a steel weight, tipped with a lapped diamond shape of relatively large radius, it does not weigh very much, but it does leave a faint mark on items being tested and it is advised to not make repeated tests on the same spot, as the indicated hardness will increase with each impact. The Shore company made not only the visual bounce model, but also a direct (dial) reading model, I have onee of each, but I do not know how the direct reading model works, only that it is triggered by a lever.

I'm interested in this because of the limitations of a conventional Rockwell tester. Can this test be used (accurately) on tube and other thin material?

GsT

For those who many not be familiar with the sclerescope hardness tester, it uses a steel weight, tipped with a lapped diamond shape of relatively large radius, it does not weigh very much, but it does leave a faint mark on items being tested and it is advised to not make repeated tests on the same spot, as the indicated hardness will increase with each impact. The Shore company made not only the visual bounce model, but also a direct (dial) reading model, I have onee of each, but I do not know how the direct reading model works, only that it is triggered by a lever.

Interesting. The comment about not doing repeated tests in the same area also applies to my device but to a lessor extent.

I'm interested in this because of the limitations of a conventional Rockwell tester. Can this test be used (accurately) on tube and other thin material?

GsT

Thin material and tube are difficult to measure by any of the impact or indentation machines. Thin material needs some form of rigid backup but that is not so easy to do and get good results.

Back