[How-To] How to make a not so straight hole straighter and maybe slightly larger

Looking forward to a successful outcome. Post photos!
Nothing much to look at, but here they are so far. Both boring bars fit, so that is great. The 6mm bar was a little tricky since I had to drill from both sides, but the reamer could go straight through. The 6mm bar just caught on the end of the bar, but was able to put a small crescent wrench on the flats and rotate and push the bar through the hole. Did it a couple of times and now it is a lot freer. The 3/8" bar just fit first pass without much effort. Both need slitting. I'll do that next.
PXL_20220419_165256816.jpg
PXL_20220419_165317361.jpg
Much easier, doing it the right way!

Once again , that's why they make AXA-2 holders . :grin:
With steel bars, sure. With carbide bars that cost over $300 (new) each these days, and no sugar daddy, nope. If I could just dig up some great carbide bars in my backyard, I'd feel differently:grin:

Nothing much to look at, but here they are so far. Both boring bars fit, so that is great. The 6mm bar was a little tricky since I had to drill from both sides, but the reamer could go straight through. The 6mm bar just caught on the end of the bar, but was able to put a small crescent wrench on the flats and rotate and push the bar through the hole. Did it a couple of times and now it is a lot freer. The 3/8" bar just fit first pass without much effort. Both need slitting. I'll do that next.
View attachment 404658
View attachment 404659
Much easier, doing it the right way!
I need to do the same... reason for asking for photos. Thank you!

With steel bars, sure. With carbide bars that cost over $300 (new) each these days, and no sugar daddy, nope. If I could just dig up some great carbide bars in my backyard, I'd feel differently:grin:
This makes no sense . Why are you afraid to use a carbide bar in a AXA-2 . That's what they make the groove for . Are you afraid you're going to crack the bar ?? :dunno:Can you inform us all ? Not that I'm trying to steer you one way or the other , I'm just not seeing your reasoning , but it's your baby . :big grin:

This makes no sense . Why are you afraid to use a carbide bar in a AXA-2 . That's what they make the groove for . Are you afraid you're going to crack the bar ?? :dunno:Can you inform us all ? Not that I'm trying to steer you one way or the other , I'm just not seeing your reasoning , but it's your baby . :big grin:

I took his earlier comments to be concerned with the screw bearing down on the brittle carbide bar. With such a concern, I’d think a little aluminum/copper/brass pad under the screw would address that concern. I’ve used mine without any such protection. And I wouldn’t be at all concerned about the bottom interface, but one could similarly protect it too.

Re: not wanting to use an AXA-2. 1. Don't like them. 2. Don't want to take the chance of a screw cracking my carbide bars, nor a piece of junk or crap in the groove cracking them. 3. Don't like AXA-2's. Maybe not rational, but don't like them. 4. Rather have smooth bushings to distribute the force more evenly on the carbide shank boring bars.

It's all a moot point. I made the bushings. Slitted two of them. Used the two boring bars (in their respective newly made bushings) to bore out the cockeyed hole in a failed 3/8" bushing and make it straight again. Wow, that was a bad, weird hole. You could see the 6mm carbide bar deflecting, even with small cuts. After a while it smoothed out and cut very straight. Bored it out until I could fit my 3/8" bar. Then bored out the hole to 1/2" for my 1/2" carbide boring bar. No picture of the last bushing, it just needs a slit. The saw blade is about 0.040" over the vise.
PXL_20220419_173940763.jpgPXL_20220419_183451859.jpg
PXL_20220419_184215613.jpgPXL_20220419_184708488.jpg

Re: not wanting to use an AXA-2. 1. Don't like them. 2. Don't want to take the chance of a screw cracking my carbide bars, nor a piece of junk or crap in the groove cracking them. 3. Don't like AXA-2's. Maybe not rational, but don't like them. 4. Rather have smooth bushings to distribute the force more evenly on the carbide shank boring bars.
Fair point . Just wanted to know why you said you couldn't use the bars without bushings . It's your preference and I understand . For everyone else interested , using these bars in -2 holders of any size is perfectly acceptable in hobby use and industry standards . Never seen a carbide bar crack due to over tightening a set screw , but there's always a first time .

Glad to hear you got the bushings finished . :)

For some reason I have a bad feeling about AXA-2 tool holders. They don't strike me as being as strong or rigid as an AXA-4D. As I noted above it's not really quite rational, but it is what it is. Perhaps it is a reaction to my mini-lathe OXA-2 holders, which really do seem flimsy. They feel like an accident waiting to happen. For boring one does want rigidity, so I feel that an AXA-4D is a better choice.

Anyway you get the job done is GREAT . :big grin: I like to take the short cuts learned over the years I guess . Bushings , -2 holders etc . I made sets of these up years ago , straight and angled . I can use them in any size post and the insert geometry is always correct . No need to guess setting it with bushings . It's just another way to achieve the same outcome . :encourage:

Attachments

• IMG_9099.JPG
    IMG_9099.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9100.JPG
    IMG_9100.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9101.JPG
    IMG_9101.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 12
Back