How to grind stainless cutting tool hss

FTlatheworks

Registered
Registered
Can anyone help me with how to cut a hss blank that would be good for cutting stainless 303 and 304? I have a 3/8 blanks and 5/8 blanks.

This may help.

Attachments

• HHS lathe tools.pdf
    584.6 KB · Views: 76
That’s does thank you. What is the best order to grind that. I only have crappy bench grinder without a good rest.

Any order works for me, honing after the grind helps immensly. I grind freehand..

You need the book of mikey. :)

I cut 303/304 mostly with a 10 or 15 degree square tool. It will be tougher to get repeatable angles with a bench grinder, but it is doable. Practice on keystock can help a lot with getting a good feel for the movements.

Avoid 304 whenever you can, it likes to work harden; 303 is very little harder to turn than mild steel, just run it a bit slower than mild steel and use coolant or TapMagic.

Avoid 304 whenever you can, it likes to work harden; 303 is very little harder to turn than mild steel, just run it a bit slower than mild steel and use coolant or TapMagic.
I have been buying 303, but I have been given a very low first price per square foot. The price has been raised each time after I purchase.

I grind a tool to cut all kinds of stock. I don’t grind it different for aluminum or soft steel like leadloy or hard to cut Inconel or a286 . I have cut stock like stellite that is probably harder than hss. There you need something like carbide . I think with the ease of using carbide inserts today that is the way I would go today. I have no problem grinding hss or carbide brazed tools. I started hand grinding hss and carbide in 1953. When you could not find off the shelf tools like today. Many of the old how to grind tool books were written when the material used to make hss tools was of much poorer quality than what is used today.
Jim Sehr

I grind a tool to cut all kinds of stock. I don’t grind it different for aluminum or soft steel like leadloy or hard to cut Inconel or a286 . I have cut stock like stellite that is probably harder than hss. There you need something like carbide . I think with the ease of using carbide inserts today that is the way I would go today. I have no problem grinding hss or carbide brazed tools. I started hand grinding hss and carbide in 1953. When you could not find off the shelf tools like today. Many of the old how to grind tool books were written when the material used to make hss tools was of much poorer quality than what is used today.
Jim Sehr
I really want to grind my own tools for the experience and understanding I feel it provides. I have a bad habit of throwing money at problems, when I could learn how to utilize what I have. At first I planned on buying threading inserts and shanks for stainless, but then I ground my own and was much happier and had more money.

Back