How to Grind a Sheet Metal Drill

T

Tom Griffin

Forum Guest
Register Today
Here's a quick video showing how to grind a sheet metal drill, also known as a brad point or spur point drill that will drill perfectly round holes in sheet metal or wood.

Tom

[video=youtube_share;XA8L4L30TyI]http://youtu.be/XA8L4L30TyI[/video]

Tom, great skils to show us! Thank you! Larry

You are welcome Larry.

A set of sheet metal drills is a useful tool to have and an inexpensive one to acquire since you can make them yourself.

Tom

Heed the video. Sheet metal is dangerous stuff to get spinning on a drill.

Heed the video. Sheet metal is dangerous stuff to get spinning on a drill.

George and I have seen a lot and I wasn't kidding about the drill press warning, so do not take it lightly. The drill press is probably the most dangerous machine in the shop because everyone takes it for granted. I personally know of one unfortunate person who was disemboweled on a drill press with a piece of sheet metal that grabbed and spun. Always be sure that anything you drill on a drill press is clamped down or against the column before drilling it.

Tom

The drill press doesn't SEEM like a dangerous machine. That makes accidents happen. I recall when a boy in school shop in the 50's was drilling out an old fashioned lead block ended battery cable,not clamped well enough. The drill grabbed the lead. The cable spun around,hitting him in his arm. He doubled over with the pain,and it spun around and hit him in his head,killing him.

I was drilling a 2" square x 1/2" thick brass block held in a vise with smooth jaws,which I had tightened well,I thought,at least. Well enough that I didn't bother to grind the drill for brass(with a little vertical cutting edge) I knew better at the time,too. The blasted brass,being a slippery metal,sucked right up out of the vise and cut my index finger deep enough that I had no feeling in it for over 10 years. It finally got the feeling back.

I hope everyone reads this. My drill press wasn't even a powerful one,just an average size one (15").

As George has stated, most people don't realize how dangerous a drill press is until it's too late. Hopefully stories like we can provide through our experience will make an impression on new users.

Tom

Thanks for the reality check. Feeling mortal again.

Nicely done, Tom, I appreciate you taking the time to show us this nice tutorial-

Dave

Back