[How-To] How to find local expert for purchase inspection?

marie.little

Registered
Registered
I am a few months away from being ready to purchase a lathe. I know I am looking for 13"x 30" minumum, preferably 14" x 40" or larger. Anyway, I have contemplated the PM machines new, but I really would like to find a decent used LeBlond or Monarch. I have found a few reasonably priced ones locally, window shopping, and it occurred to me that I really need a local "expert" to inspect these machines with me before I actually buy it.

So when the time comes and i get serious, how do I find a local machinist with eneougj experiemce to help me choose a good deal? I dont mind buying something I need to spend time "refurbing", but i am too new to be able to recognize when something is seriously wrong or to make an accurate estimate of repair costs.

So how do I go about finding this person? I would certainly be willing to pay for the service.

--Casey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, look at the map of members. I can't remember the link. See if one is in your area. Most here are quite helpful.

I'd suggest adding your location to the title. There may me someone on this board in the area that can help.

I've purchased quite a few used machines myself, and will throw out the following based on my experience. I'm still a home hobbyist, not a expert machine rebuilder, so take this for what its worth (free advice on the internet!).

I would also suggest trying to put together a list yourself that might help you. I generally think people are more willing to help someone that is working to learn and demonstrates that. You should think about what things might be obvious from pictures, unpowered inspection, and powered inspection. Will the seller let you or someone with you actually try using the lathe?

I would warn you that "an accurate estimate of repair costs" is probably beyond even the ability of many experienced machinists unless they have rebuilding experience on that make/model. A lot of repair is accomplished by a DIY approach, pricing that is not straightforward.

One way to look at it is to ask "Can I use this machine today, and fix it up as I build skill?" Bed wear is a major issue with older machines, and some wear is inevitable. But there are plenty of mechanical problems that can happen with these machines. Outdated electrical setups are also pretty common. Will you be looking only for a single phase machine (unlikely if you are looking for a Monarch or LeBlond), plan on using a RPC, or converting the machine to use a VFD?

Also, what is your plan for moving the machine? Do you plan on doing it yourself, hiring it out, ??? This can effect the cost significantly too. For example I have my own large trailer, but need things forklifted up onto it (it is not a low deck). If I buy a machine from someone who has a forklift that makes a difference vs having to arrange loading.

It is helpful to have all of your plans thought out as good machines can go quickly.

Last edited:
Bed wear and bad spindle bearings, those are the two biggies to watch out for. Most everything else can be dealt with.
Obviously you want to test the machine if possible, before buying
Powerfeed gears in the carriage can be difficult to replace if worn
-Mark

Thanks for the good advice. I should have made clear that I expect to travel to purchase my equipment. Most likeley location will be Houston, TX which is 2.5 hr drive one way, but i would be willing to drive several hours for the right deal.

I have a cousin who is a machinist that I can haul with me a couple of hours away, but if I need to travel far enough to make the trip two or three days long that option goes away.

I suppose my best course of action is to just ignore any sales outside of a reasonable travel distance.

Bed wear and bad spindle bearings, those are the two biggies to watch out for. Most everything else can be dealt with.
Obviously you want to test the machine if possible, before buying
Powerfeed gears in the carriage can be difficult to replace if worn
-Mark

Thanks for that. I will put it on my list

buying a used machine, you can anticipate some level of wear, unless you are lucky enough to find sleeper machines
i was luck enough to find a couple sleepers that had no appreciable wear although they were more than 20 years old(almost 40yrs old in one case)
1340/1440 is a great size range, lots of capability there (i'd love to have one of each flavor if i could find them and store them)

may i offer the suggestion of a belt driven 1236- being belt driven better finishes can be obtained as the gear noise is not transmitted to the work
an older machine would transmit noise differently than a new machine for better or worse

not knowing the scope of work you intend, you may be able to consider a slight downsize for a nearly indispensable piece of equipment for my shop. i have a 2040 for bigger work, everything else is done on a turret lathe, or the Shenwai1236

Back