(how) To Die Or Not To Die

Transformer

Registered
Registered
I am no Shakespeare or machinist either. A couple of time I have tried to thread small rods, the last was I think 3/16 for 10-32. In any event I put the rod in the vice and attempt to thread it using a hand die. I can get the die started but before I get the rod fully through the die the rod begins to rotate in the vice, even with using a hammer to lock the rod in as tight as possible. What is a good way to hold these rods so they can be hand threaded. And yes, I am using oil.

Sounds like you might need to invest in some new sharper dies.
I've been using a cheap HF drill press vise with a pair of homemade Aluminum jaws I cuts grooves in to hold rod for threading and never slipped.
If I have to crank too hard to cut threads, I replace the dies or taps and that solves the problem.

I am no Shakespeare or machinist either. A couple of time I have tried to thread small rods, the last was I think 3/16 for 10-32. In any event I put the rod in the vice and attempt to thread it using a hand die. I can get the die started but before I get the rod fully through the die the rod begins to rotate in the vice, even with using a hammer to lock the rod in as tight as possible. What is a good way to hold these rods so they can be hand threaded. And yes, I am using oil.
V-grooved jaws, or a drill chuck.

+3 on v grove jaws. If that isn't an option how about grinding a flat on each side of the rod. ;) Hope that helps.

Are you backing up the die every round or two to break the chip? That is, thread for 1 or 2 revs and back up a half rev, thread for 1 or 2 revs and back up a half rev, rinse and repeat.

Tom

+1 on breaking the chips. That and using tapping lube on steel. Makes a huge difference.

How are you starting the die? Are you using some kind of jig to start the die straight? If the die isn't dead straight, it will be cutting on an angle into the rod and will get harder to turn the farther you go.

+1 on starting it straight. Even on brass if it is not straight it will start to get hard and lock up on you. I have also done the 1 rev then backup 1/2 and go at it again on some items.

Did you mic the rod to be sure it doesn't get bigger ? 10/32 is a lot of cutting to the inch.
How much thread are you trying to cut?

1+ on all the above tips. But I will add when you get the length of threads you need remove the die and turn it around and run it back down the threads to clean them up.That way there will be no "Fat" threads on the end.
********Just Saying**************G*************smiley_redXpoke.gif*******

smiley_redXpoke.gif

+ALL and you have gotta break the chip as mentioned above...
I did this several years ago and after three failed attempts I stood back and re-thought it.
All of my dies are second hand. I rummaged around looking for the sharpest I had on hand.
I came up lucky and had two adjustable style dies. I opened/spread one a far as it would go comfortably
and then ran it on the rod. It appeared to be cutting at 50-60% depth, I then finished it off with a
non adjustable die and finally achieved the desired results .
The project was for three 8" long SS rods with ~1-1/2" of thread at each end.
I held the rod in the three jaw on my Logan and jerry-rigged a Vee block to hold the die on the
tool post.

If I'm using a die on the lathe, I put it in the holder that was one of my first projects. Do a google for tailstock die holder, and you get tons of plans and pictures.

Back