How to cut something round on a vertical mill?

@great white Thre are so many techniques that you might use, but showing a quick sketch (even in paint) would really help to focus our efforts. Some of the techniques would be totally wrong for some shapes, etc.

I’ll get a quick photchop up in the morning.

tried both conventional and climb milling. Neither worked, both eventually jammed the RT.

So you put the square end in your lathe 4 jaw chuck, make the end that sticks out round. Then move to the mill, hold the round end in the mill vise with V blocks or a collet block, or a spin indexer, or whatever you can figure out, mill a side of the square, and rotate as needed for the other sides.
Is the square bit bigger than the round bit or the other way round ?

If the square is larger you could make the square bit in a four jaw also as you might square a block of stock on a lathe.

:)

Stu

Here's a quick doodle of the part shape:

bturner.jpg

The thickness is roughly 1.5".

What is the dimension and tolerance of the radius?

What is the dimension and tolerance of the radius?
it's a plinth to mount a ball cuter, tolerance isn't overly important on the outside dimensions other than parallel top and bottom surfaces, the center height (thickness) and the bore where it will mount to my Atlas cross slide. The radius on the forward edge is the radius of the ball cutter mount.

For equipment I have to use: Atlas TH42 lathe and a CX600 (same as G0704) Vertical mill. Mostly the standard stuff like the mill vise, end mills, etc.

The 3" rotary table is essentially out of the question as it just seems to be cheap and has waaay too much backlash, no matter what I adjust or shim.

Of course, I also have the usual metal tools like metal saw (portaband) grinders, files, etc.

I also can't quite figure out how o cut the 45's on the rear edge. My mill vice is a fixed model, no swivel base. I suppose I might be able to secure the vice on a 45 on the table maybe?

Last edited:
Back