How to adapt a 550v 3 phase machine to run on 220v in Canada.

Yup, changing out the motor sounds like the best plan. And I do have a small lathe and milling machine, so making an adapter for the shaft or mounting is something I can tackle myself.
I'm very new to machinist work, but I'm working towards a small home based business making improved aftermarket parts.
From the discussion about shapers vs mills on this site, I think the shaper would be a great asset for removal of material. I still have the project I made with one in shop class 35 years ago, and the finish I got on it is pretty darn good, especially since the class was big and we had to learn as we went on projects if the teacher felt you were capable.

Bi1 Hudson. Thanks for explaining the info regarding true high voltage and it's special requirements for safety .
I've always had a high amount of respect for high voltage power. When I was young, a neighbour who hauled metal grain bins as part of his job was killed when the bin he was carrying touched a power line. He did this regularly, but whether the bin was slightly taller or the power line had sagged. His truck stopped running and he stepped out and died instantly as his foot touched the ground.
He left a wife with 2 toddlers and an infant behind.
That has stuck with me ever since and I don't mess around with high voltage electricity or even lower voltage and amperage if I don't have a good handle on what I'm doing.

Thanks everybody,
Ken

I have one more question for you knowledgeable folks.
This isn't specific to this shaper I'm looking at.
So this unit uses a 1 hp motor. Is there any reason why you can't use a higher horsepower motor?
Assuming it is the proper voltage and phase, and turns at the proper rpm?
I'm asking since buying a used motor was suggested, so if a good candidate was found but had higher horsepower, would there be problems using it?
Also Assuming that a guy didn't think the machine was capable of much harder work, and used it to the level that the rest of the unit was made for?
Thanks,
K.

Back