How often do you clean up the swarf on your lathe/Mill

I clean mine at the end of each day used. First, I brush off the swarf, then use a shop vac, then use a shop towel to get the small, remaining bits, and finally wipe it with a rag with WD-40 to protect from any soluble oil residue left behind. I know it's supposed to be non-corrosive, but...

The only time I use compressed air is if I need to clean out an area that can't be reached otherwise, like the inside of the spindle or the head of a hex key bolt. When I do use C-A, I wear safety goggles because, as many have pointed out, you never know where that swarf is going to end up.

Charlie

... And speaking of vacuum cleaners... Next time you're looking for that allen wrench, or other small part, look inside the vacuum cleaner -and always pick through that bucket of mess before dumping it out. Man, the stuff you find in there...

... And speaking of vacuum cleaners... Next time you're looking for that allen wrench, or other small part, look inside the vacuum cleaner -and always pick through that bucket of mess before dumping it out. Man, the stuff you find in there...

LOL! Good idea! :thumbsup:

Okay, being the newb I'll bite. Just why shouldn't air be used to clear chips? I hear a lot of folks say it's bad, but not why.

My X3 uses air for the power draw bar and the FogBuster, I have an air hose that I added for clearing chips as I babysit a job. The only reason I can think of is that you may blow chips in to areas that can't be cleaned. What other reasons are there to avoid using air?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

IMHO that's reason enough.....

Hi,everybody,,I clean my SX4 every time I have machined metal and reoil every surface.always use vac and paper no air blowing.

Hobby work in the garage, but that dictates shop vac of the area and machine plus sweeping the area after completing whatever work was undertaken each time. Little shiny bits still end up inside the house, though.:banghead:

Every couple of months is a nylon brush + rags level of cleaning and inspecting/checking. Every couple of years is a "take major components" apart inspection and cleaning.

I intend to be passing along things to my grandchildren that originally passed along to me originating with what works out to be their great-great grandfather.

I like to clean up a little during a job but always at the end of it. Just because I hate starting a job on a dirty machine.

I clean the bulk after each use. I clean well when switching materials ( steel, brass, aluminum )

Okay, being the newb I'll bite. Just why shouldn't air be used to clear chips? I hear a lot of folks say it's bad, but not why.

My X3 uses air for the power draw bar and the FogBuster, I have an air hose that I added for clearing chips as I babysit a job. The only reason I can think of is that you may blow chips in to areas that can't be cleaned. What other reasons are there to avoid using air?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure I anyone answered your question yet. First and foremost, it is a dangerous practice. You can blow chips into your own, or anyone around you eyes even though you are properly wearing your safety glasses. I've had chips blown into my skin from compressed air. Compressed air used for cleaning a machine will blow small chips and cast iron powder under the wipers on the machine, and those chips and dust will slowly destroy the machine. A mister should be running around 30 psi or less, and as long as it's aimed at the workpiece on the table, not at the ways. It won't damage the machine. Obviously the powered drawbar isn't blowing chips around, so that won't pose a problem.

Just for giggles I sometimes like to watch the old SB training films that are posted on youtube, from the '40s. They always start out with a pristine lathe and often with the narrator saying something to the effect "...and he is ready for work. His lathe is clean and properly oiled, his tools are in order, and his drawing is where he can see it." I don't always follow this to the letter, i'm just not that organized. I do try to aspire to this as an idea though, because it seems that what I make seems to come out a bit closer to how I'd like it to turn out when I do.;)

Back