[Read!] How Much Space Do You Have in Your Machine Shop?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
How much space do you guys and gals have in your home shop to work with?

Mine is only a 9x10 space in my basement with outlets off off 200 amp house service.

What do YOU guys have to work (play) with?

I don't have a machine shop. I've got a 24x26 woodworking shop. I had to sell one of my wood lathes and the mortise machine to make room for the metal lathe. And I had to sell the small drill press and one router table - and move the tool chest back to the garage - to make room for the vertical mill. I want a small surface grinder now, but I'd have to get rid of a larger router table and probably move some of my wooden machinist chests out too in order to make room.

How much space do you guys and gals have in your home shop to work with?

What do YOU guys have to work (play) with?

This is super easy to answer for me, same answer for both questions - NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!!!

Two car garage which i have to share with general home storage, harley, snowblower... etc. I have about 1 car space to use.

heavy equipment is (will be) in 1/2 of a 2 car garage.
small workbenches, and customer area of my gunsmith business is on the 2nd floor, in what used to be a 1 bedroom guesthouse, and is now my "Man-Ville"

here's some pics of the upstairs, downstairs pics will have to wait til renovations are finished.

1349705073.jpg
1349705067.jpg

ok, so some of the upstairs is still being worked on

1349705065.jpg

1349705073.jpg

1349705067.jpg

1349705065.jpg

I have a 30' x 40' pole barn, fully insulated with a wood/coal furnace for heat. Most of it is used for the machine shop equipment and storage of all the tools/accessories. I still don't think I have enough room so I'll be adding on this spring.

I have a old barn that I put a concrete floor in to use as the fab shop to keep all the welding and grinding grit away from the machine tools.

It doesn't matter how big you build it you'll always need more space.

I am using the master bedroom in the apartment that I am renting. I am also a competitive long range shooter, so the mill is sitting on my reloading table right now.

Doc

Not nearly enough, only a one car garage that's attached to the house.

No one ever said "I built the shop too big!" Mine is 30 x 40 with 10 foot ceilings. I love it, hate if I had to move, but I think I could get by with 24 x24 garage. I had the 9 foot overhead doors to get my 23 foot wood sailboat inside to work on, it's sold, had a 1972 Nova SS so needed 2 overhead doors, it's sold too. Now have about 5 motorcycles and I can't get my truck in to change oil! Nature or hobbyist abhors a vacuum!

Shop 007.jpg

Back