How Much Play Should There Be?

I forgot to mention, if you look at the pictures, the bull gear is held into place using a set screw in the end of the gear (#14). I didn't have it screwed all the way in, in my first pictures, but the gear sits at the very end of the shaft. Half of the set screw teeth engages the shaft, half engage the bull gear so the threads have to align perfectly or you can't install the set screw.

I found this, seems to be an interesting read.
http://www.arrowgear.com/pdf_files/install.pdf

Last edited:
Face off a little of the gear on item 17, then as I said to do, put a shim behind the bull gear item 13 and sleeve item 15. That way it does not affect the mounting of the bull gear to the shaft. You have a situation where your parts have worn from lots of years of use. I've seen this many times over. Most of the time I just put it back together like it was and keep running it. Have built new beveled gears before, lots of work. You could go to LeBlonde and spend $$$$$$ for new gears! But you still left with fitting them in place. There never a perfect fit! Ken

I don't have a way to face anything since I only have this 1 machine. Unless there is a way to do it by hand? Or if I could leave the bevel gear shaft out of the apron and face the gear on the lathe and then re-install that part.

Just putting it back together and running it might be my current option. Some of my first few projects after putting it back together could be re/creating some of these worn parts. I probably don't want to try and build a new bevel gear, but perhaps build a replacement shaft that is slightly longer to allow for more adjustment of the bevel gear.

There is obviously some play but the gears do mesh up OK, I would think it would be fine for short term usage without any real issues, but then again i'm new to this :)

Last edited:
I'm sure it will be fine.
One thing to remember, it won't have to work real hard with the new owner. Plus the new owner will take care of it much better than what it's been thru for the past 40 or 50 years. Ken

I'm sure it will be fine.
One thing to remember, it won't have to work real hard with the new owner. Plus the new owner will take care of it much better than what it's been thru for the past 40 or 50 years. Ken

Thats a fact! Before I took it apart the only thing that I could move was the cross slide and only within about 2" either way. Every other sliding surface was covered in super thick layer of gunk.

Now everything slides around buttery smooth! Well at least the stuff I have taken apart.

Tailstock done, Saddle done, Cross Slide done, Compound Rest done, Ways done. Next up is quick change gear box and feed screws, then the Headstock!

Back