How much for TH 42

It is probably worth at least $500.00 in parts on EBay.

The chuck is probably worth $50 at least. The rest of the lathe looks like its already been stripped of a lot of the valuable parts. Tailstock doesn't look original, no back gears, and no leadscrew if I'm seeing it correctly. Even as a parts lathe, it seems pretty iffy at best.

4 jaw chuck - 75
top slide - 100
saddle - 75
apron- 90
bull gear 50
spindle - 50
headstock - 40
tail stock - 100
These are realistic numbers if the the parts are not totally cratered. The tail stock doesn't matter as long as you can match it up with the proper machine. There are literally millions of these Atlas lathes out there needing parts. Beds are a pain, very hard to ship. My daughter makes good money parting out old lathes.

Last edited:
That's true Macrnr

4 jaw chuck - 75
top slide - 100
saddle - 75
apron- 90
bull gear 50
spindle - 50
headstock - 40
tail stock - 100
These are realistic numbers if the the parts are not totally cratered. The tail stock doesn't matter as long as you can match it up with the proper machine. There are literally millions of these Atlas lathes out there needing parts. Beds are a pain, very hard to ship. My daughter makes good money parting out old lathes.

The part sitting on the carriage slide is a 671A Double Tool Cross Slide, the base of a 670 Cross Carriage Turret Attachment. But both turrets are missing. You could actually mount a standard 4-way turret or a QCTP on the front section and a 4-way on the rear. But I would say it would be useful only if you were making several of the same part and if parting off (the normal function of the rear tool post) were required. If I had a 10" and if it were nearby, I might buy it for the parts. But I would offer the guy less first.

Robert D.

Bob i have a671A slide is it worth anything?
Tonym47

Tony,

Sorry for being so long in replying. I got side tracked twice when I was about to answer. If you have only the 671A cross slide, my feeling is that it would be worth something to someone who had the other parts (the front turret, rear tool holder and two carriage stops) that make up the complete 670. For price reference, last year I bought (complete) the 12" version that only has a Craftsman model number (because Atlas revised it about the same time the 1/2" bed lathes came out so they never sold the early version). I paid $300 to a seller from whom I had already bought several other accessories. When he originally put it on eBay, he was asking $400. Of that, if I were to break out the parts individually, I would price the cross slide at about $150 out of the total. However, I do not know whether the 10" and 12" bare cross slides are the same Atlas part or not because unlike most of the heftier Atlas castings, the part number does not appear on the machined casting. And I have never been able to locate the Craftsman parts manual for it.

I'm not sure that it would be of practical value on a 10" without the other parts as I haven't checked the height dimensions. But it's possible that the tool height requirement might be within the range of an AXA class quick change and the older 4-way turret for the cut off tool on the back position. On a 12", you would need a ball park 1" spacer in order to use it.

Robert D.

I had only the cross slide, the tool post was a home made unit and I used it that way for years. I found that it was more stable than the top compound slide and swivel base for any heavy cuts as the slide used more of the available dovetail vs the swivel base only really used about 4".

I also used my Palmgren 250 milling attachment and angle plates etc. I later got the rear tool post but never used it. Like I said in my earlier post, it is really the only part that was worth anything on that lathe.
Pierre

Back