How long do sanding belts last?

For metalworking, using those rubber cleaning belts might not be as effective as running the belt dry, or on occasion (1/30 hours) a wax stick. The residue left behind by the rubber stick seems to cling to the metal bits (OK this is only on 120 grit AO belts, my only experience with rubber cleaning sticks)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I was running red label belts. My cheesy sander won't let me push too hard anyway. I tried the cleaner stck i use on wood sandpaper seemed to gum up on the belt.

Two things help improve belt sander efficiency for metal work. First is a good solid platen and second is to use a wax stick lubricant.

When I first used a belt sander to grind lathe tools and for general metal fabrication my belts would wear quickly, too. So did my platen! It was only after I learned about and used a ceramic glass platen liner that I noted that my belts seemed to last much longer. They also cut much more efficiently and accurately. Trust me; the liner makes a difference.

Wax lubricant greatly reduces friction and loading of the belt. Hence, they work better, last much longer and cut cooler. I tend to apply a small amount of it every time I fire up the grinder and I do it because it works.

I'm currently using a ceramic belt and it still cuts like a new belt, which is amazing to me. I have a lot of belt grinding experience and I've never seen a belt that cuts like this or lasts as long. Give it a try.

Back