How hard is it to find a lead screw for a Sheldon UM56-P 12" lathe?

thenrie

Active User
Registered
I'm looking at an ad for a 12" Sheldon lathe, model UM-56-P. It says the "feed bar and end support" need to be purchased for the "feed to work". By the picture I'm supposing he's referring to the lead screw. How difficult to find are the lead screw and bracket for this lathe? It appears the lathe comes with only a three-jaw chuck and nothing else.

Second question, at near the same price, I am looking at a Delta 12" lathe that has a few accessories with it, seems to be complete, except for a couple knobs missing. Both lathes will need substantial cleanup and tune-up. How do these two lathes compare? I've read they are comparable, but looking at the two, I am thinking the Sheldon would be a step up.

Join the yahoo Sheldonlathe group. John Knox or someone there could help. Sheldons are a great machine.

It's for sure you won't be buying the parts from Sheldon. They've been out of business for years. You could easily buy some threaded rod and make a new lead screw. The bracket could either be made or found used with some searching. Like the previous post said, John Knox is happy to answer any questions you have about Sheldons. He worked for the company when they were still in business. He's a wealth of info. I have had a few sheldons. I currently have a 13" that had been sitting unused for years. It's actually a pretty good lathe. Just had a few issues to straighten out. I've only had one Delta. It's was a 10". Compared to a 10" sheldon I had, it wasn't even in the same league. Delta's bigger machines might be better, but I've never had one so I can't speak to that.

Chuck

Thanks for that. I finally found some reading info on the Sheldons and I think my second question is answered. There are some folks who prefer the Sheldon lathes to South Bends. One person indicated that a Sheldon 10" is equivalent to a SB 13". I may take a good look at this Sheldon. It's shown in the ad as a 12", but the model number seems to indicate it is a 13. I'm thinking the owner bought it from a surplus auction and doesn't know much about it. It just might be worth the work and cost to resurrect it.

Thanks for that. I finally found some reading info on the Sheldons and I think my second question is answered. There are some folks who prefer the Sheldon lathes to South Bends. One person indicated that a Sheldon 10" is equivalent to a SB 13". I may take a good look at this Sheldon. It's shown in the ad as a 12", but the model number seems to indicate it is a 13. I'm thinking the owner bought it from a surplus auction and doesn't know much about it. It just might be worth the work and cost to resurrect it.

I think that might be the same model I have.....I don't remember the model number without being right in front of it, but IIRC the U is underdrive, the M is 13" swing, 56" bed length, P is pedestal mount. That would describe mine exactly. If there is a downside to the lathe, its the drive system. It has two levers on the front which actuate sliding dogs. You get 4 speeds direct drive and 4 in back gear. If ever there was a lathe that would benefit from a vfd, this is it. The speeds just don't seem to work for me. I find myself going into back gear way too often. If you have to pull the drive out to service it, its a pia. If you decide to buy it, I can give you measurements on the lead screw bracket. It wouldn't be hard to make something that would work. It might not look completely stock, but basically a block with a bushing in it would suffice. I would pay close attention to the dogs on the drive. They could be easily beat up if they were abused. Good luck.

Chuck

Bourn & Koch bought what was left of Sheldon. They have some new parts still. They may have or can have made what you need. I bought a new worm for my apron from them and my machine was made in '43. Also as mentioned above, the Yahoo Sheldon group helped me a lot. Plaza Machinery may have what you need.

Bourn & Koch Inc
2500 Kishwaukee Street
Rockford, IL 61104
Phone 800-553-2263
Phone 815-282-4100 Ext 2337

good luck
bedwards

I have never heard of Bourn & Koch. That's great info. Rockford is about 30 min. away from me. If I ever need Sheldon parts I'll check them out.

Well, we can close this thread. I bought a Delta Rockwell 11X36 last week. The Sheldon had too many unanswered questions, such as, why was the lead screw missing in the first place? Anyway, thanks for the responses, folks!

Tony

Back