How Does This One Look?

Atlas did offer FWD-REV switches through most of the years that the lathes were made, but like the motors and all of the accessories except for a couple or three, they were extra. Whether the switch on the lathe was actually bought through Atlas or not there is no way of telling as AFAIK, unlike the motors, the switches weren't house-branded.

Thanks, sorry not wanting to hijack this thread but I was just wondering as I see a lot with them fitted which made me wonder about the manufactureres take on the screwed on chuck, and whether any warnings where given, I know I should have it all committed to it to memory by now but I can't remember reading anything about it in my MOLO .....

Bernard

Last edited:
The only operations that come to mind that actually need reverse would be left hand threads, which if I recall are written as being cut toward the tailstock so that you don't need reverse. And grinding and cutting odd-ball threads (where you can't disengage the half nuts and have to power the carriage back to the beginning). The latter two are both very low-torque operations. It takes an appreciable amount of torque to break a chuck loose if it is properly seated. And I have never had that happen just by starting my 12" in reverse. I have a reversing switch on my machine but about the only time I have ever used it to actually do something was for sanding or polishing.

Did you get the lathe? I saw that listing a few days ago and was half-way tempted to buy it for the tool post alone. It looks like a fair deal, IMO.

No, and I won't buy it. I saw it and thought it looked like a nice one so I thought I'd just ask here. Let us know if you look at it or buy it.

The ad has been taken down, so someone else must have purchased it. I sold my Atlas last summer, and I'm not really in the market for another one.

Back