How Do You Store Your Steel?

Small pieces are stored on the lower left of the tool cabinet, along with some speciality steels in tubes at the end of the lathe.
upload_2016-12-15_11-6-40.png

Larger pieces are stored on the racks under the air compressor, aluminum and stainless on top, steel on the bottom. Firewood on the floor.
upload_2016-12-15_11-7-10.png

Pieces over 2 ft long are on the metal rack, up to 12 ft long.
upload_2016-12-15_11-46-27.png

And larger pieces are stored outside, blocked for forklift access. Looks like I need to trim the weeds. :grin:
upload_2016-12-15_11-47-13.png

Everything gets racked vertically. By nature of the design, smaller stuff has to be in front and progressively larger to the rear. Really tall stuff goes to the side, but my shop space isn't huge so I try to stay away from really long stock anyway.
Small chunks that don't rack nicely or odd bits of sheet and plate go into medium-sized bins -- separate one for brass, aluminum, copper, or steel. At the rate I'm going it'll take me three lifetimes to use it all anyway.

-frank

image.jpeg

For the small stuff, I use two 5 foot tall Vidmars. And the longer material unfortunately just finds a corner or section of the shop floor….Dave

I don't have a lot of the tall stuff and I can store it in my barn. I'm beginning to like the idea of using PVC and setting it in the corner on the counter top by my lathe and mill.

Bob

Three 5-gallon plastic buckets. My stockpile is tiny compared to some of you!

I have wall racks for 20 footers and i use plastic buckets for short stuff, I'd post a picture it needs it's simi annual maintenance

DSC01401_zps0tiigap9.jpg

I made this in about a day. 1/2" hot rolled round, all cut to the same length and bent up at the tips. 1x1 square tube with 1/2" holes drilled for the rod, then a quick fusion weld on the back. I plan on doing a second rack just like this for another part of the shop.

Second one should go quicker because now I have hose clamps for bundling the 1/2" rod in the bandsaw :)

Back