How do you store your grease guns?

mine hangs with the tip down. In an old rubber (?) glove.
For that matter I've never had a grease gun that wasn't a slippery mess; including my Alemite. The upside of that is they don't rust.

Asking for a grease gun that isn't messy is like asking for a dog that doesn't bark or a kid that doesn't cry. I can say from the years when I greased yellow iron every day that the McMaster and Grainger grease guns are a world better than whatever the ship brought in from the far east, if that's worth anything at all. I've also noticed that good grease tends not to separate and run out the bottom as cheap stuff does. I just hang mine on a peg, and come what may. Now that I'm old and not in a rush, I begin a grease tube change with nitrile gloves and a rag.

That's a nice setup Randy. Mine always sat on top of my 55gal waste oil barrel in the old shop. Now they sit on top of a 5gal oil bucket in the new space (serious down grade) until I get around to working up something better. I never really seem to have any issues with them. Maybe once a year I'll clean them up in the parts washer. Mike

Asking for a grease gun that isn't messy is like asking for a dog that doesn't bark or a kid that doesn't cry. I can say from the years when I greased yellow iron every day that the McMaster and Grainger grease guns are a world better than whatever the ship brought in from the far east, if that's worth anything at all. I've also noticed that good grease tends not to separate and run out the bottom as cheap stuff does. I just hang mine on a peg, and come what may. Now that I'm old and not in a rush, I begin a grease tube change with nitrile gloves and a rag.
so I am not looking for a clean gun. I am looking for not having to repack my guns all the time.
I am buying high quality greases. I use a lot of Molybdenum. I also use red tacky.

I have several lever grease guns as well and had the same problem you're having with one of mine. Been quite a few years ago, but if I remember correctly it was a Lincoln and I was able to purchase a replacement cup for the plunger and it has been fine ever since. You may try getting a new plunger cup for yours.

Ted

Back