How do you store your grease guns?

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I have a few grease guns, lever type, pull trigger lever type, and pneumatic.
I have a tray that I leave them in lying down. I always seem to have a problem with them bypassing the plunger..
I figured it's because they lie down, and in the heat of the summer they get less viscous and flow ..
I've been keeping the pnuem in a 5 gal bucket hanging on the edge. I plan on mounting them all in 3" pvc with caps on the bottom for storage in hopes of preventing them from draining behind the plunger. I don't know if it will work.

How do you guys store your guns? Pics if it' cool.

Mine hang on a metal two door cabinet. They still wick grease if they sit for any length of time.
Try keeping NGLI 0 corn head grease in a gun without it seeping.Lol. I tie a rag on the end of it.
Martin

what happens is mine empty the compression chamber (spring driven) and wind up behind it.. so I have to disassemble them pull the grease out and put it back in.. A major mess! maybe keeping them on their head ? toward the pump

I'm not trying to control the drip outside of the canisters, I'm trying to prevent it from moving inside the canister .

I cut the top of a 2 liter soda plastic bottle and set them in there. Seems to work ok but you have to careful when you go to use them because what ever leaks out in the bottle immediately drips all over the floor. I just have a paper towel at the ready to wipe them off before that happens.

I'm not trying to control the drip outside of the canisters, I'm trying to prevent it from moving inside the canister .

Pull the plunger back and cage the spring (Move the lever to the side, Step one in changing a cartridge). Then hang the grease gun as usual. The grease won't "flow" past the plunger if the spring is not pushing on it. They will still wick and weep as usual if you don't grease your chit as often as you should if you don't use it as often as a professional lube shop, but it will help tremendously with the actual grease building up on the wrong side of the plunger. Does it shorten the life of the spring? Probably. How much does it shorten it? I don't know, but no more than leaving the thing stored with a full tube of grease would. So probably a real calculatable amount, but nothing you'll ever know the difference of in the real world. Probably more than offset by all the grease that gets wasted out the back when it leaks by.

Don’t have any problems with a Lincoln Brand grease gun. I do seam to have more grease on me than in the bearing in the end. Mix in a little dirt and maybe changing a hydraulic hose and the homeless even go the other way.
I am surprised you didn't put a little anti-seize into the mix. One micron of that stuff and I look like the Tin Man.

Back