How do you make a parallel cut in Aluminum?

Victor

Registered
Registered
Hello All,

I am trying to make a parallel cut approx 6 inch long at one end of a 12 inch piece of Aluminum round pipe,,, 2 in OD by 3/16 wall thickness. My Chop saw only cuts perpendicular. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Victor

Thanks Dalee,

I have a band-saw, hack saw, etc. But the cut has to be a little wider then the band-saw/hack-saw blade width and it has to be very straight. I was thinking mill too, but was hoping there may be a better way...

Thanks so much for your response as I really appreciated this.

Sincerely,
Victor

Can you find a table saw blade that is narrow enough to use or get reground to fit? I have used my table saw and chop saws to cut alum just watch you feed and the flying chips!

Thanks Again Dalee,

My chop saw seems to cut very well, and I like the idea of using my table saw too. But, the problem I am having is the cut has to be the same on both sides of the pipe. ( I don't think I mentioned two parallel cuts on each pipe equal distance, sorry) When I tried my chop saw,,, it took the part and flung it! Ouch! I will give my table saw a try...

Thanks so much for your suggestions... Where do you live? What kind of machine work do you do, as I am courious.

Take care and have a great day.
Victor

I am sorry, I mean Pdentrem... Thanks so much. Victor

Do you have access to a vertical bandsaw? You could cut both sides at the same time if you set up a fence. If your slot needs to be strait and narrower than a hacksaw blade a mill might be your only choice. if you use a bandsaw use some wax on the blade. Good Luck.

You could use a tablesaw, but make a carriage to hold the tube and keep it from twisting. You can guide the carriage along the rip fence. Do one slot; then rotate the tube and do the other.

The method that would give the best, most accurate, and consistent result is a milling machine. That being said, I would lay out the slots using Dykem and a scribe. Make very accurate lines. Using a proper sized twist bit, lay out and drill a hole at the end of each cut. Insert the pipe to prevent collapsing or distortion and clamp it in a vise at a thirty degree angle. Hand cut the slots with a hacksaw. I use a soft wooden stick at 90 degrees to the vise jaw to hold the angle.
You can get very good results if you take your time. To cleanup the kerf I would use a file or emery. You can use soap stone or chalk to prevent the aluminum from loading up in the file teeth.

Good luck.

Back