How do You Clean Out Your Lathe Chip Tray?

I clean the chip tray out when it's around three quarters full. Slide chip tray out, drive loader tractor in shop and use a scoop shovel. This is about every three weeks.
Usually three or four loader buckets full. Oh it's a American pacemaker.
Scruffy Ron in ohio

Link to photos of your Pacemaker?

(I'm going to get beat up out back after class for sure...)
I use the preferred @FOMOGO method most of the time.
Honey likes to save the long strings of aluminum and the brass chips for crafts.
For the bottom muck, I've got an old shop vac that we use. I usually drop a couple of inches of oil dry in the bottom.
Even with that, the area around the exhaust port is all oily.
She then grabs some rags and attempts to clean off the painted areas, and I say 'Babe you don't need to do that...', she replies 'But it's so messy...'
She also, for some unknown & wonderful reason likes to go after all the chips on the floor and in the mats with the shop vac.
After she's done you're hesitant to mess it up again. :grin:

I've noticed that after my own cleanup efforts :)
One of the top ten 'fine feelings' in a shop - a clear floor.
When I broke down in July '19 and ended up with the car at the BILs place in Independence, MO I had the weekend with nothing to do.
He has a 50'x100' pole barn that he *GASP* really doesn't use much.
I spent the weekend straightening it out sweeping down one of the best laid floors I've ever seen, and getting the FILs '50s fire engine running.
Then on Monday, the d*mn shop tried to tell me that the Buick needed a new engine. BS. :cautious:
Hauled it to the barn and effected repairs there. (it was just the intake manifold coolant tube)
It was sweet working with all that smooth wide open free space.

I have one of those mangets in a metal tube which is great, then I realized I MOSTLY work in stainless with some occasional aluminum jobs... ugh.

Could you just be quiet with all this nice nice floors, and plenty of space to work crap.... :rolleyes: :grin::grin::grin:
That was at the Brother-in-Laws place in MO. I wish I could have that building here, in the back yard. :cry:
It isn't reaching it's full potential out there. :grin:

Back