How do I use these gages?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I picked up some stuff on Ebay from a retiring machinist, some Starrett adjustable parallels, two 1-2-3 blocks in a wooden case (SPI-Eron, made in Japan), and these metal gages.
I bought it for the parallels- the rest came with it. The gages are all sizes, thicknesses, from about an inch diameter to 1/8".

My stupid newbie question- what are these gages, and what do I use them for?

Thanks.

IMG_0676.JPG

:tiphat:Nelson

IMG_0676.JPG

I picked up some stuff on Ebay from a retiring machinist, some Starrett adjustable parallels, two 1-2-3 blocks in a wooden case (SPI-Eron, made in Japan), and these metal gages.
I bought it for the parallels- the rest came with it. The gages are all sizes, thicknesses, from about an inch diameter to 1/8".

My stupid newbie question- what are these gages, and what do I use them for?

Thanks.

View attachment 30445

:tiphat:Nelson

you can use pin gages for checking precision hole sizes.
you can use the adjustable parallels to measure slots (expand parallel inside the slot and mic over the adjustable parallels).

its also good to have 2 or 3 sets of 1-2-3 blocks you'll use multiple sets in a mill at some point, i have 4 pair at work and 2 pair at home.. used for setting parts up on a parallel plane, supporting long parts

you can also check angles with the gage pins, but that's a more advanced practice..

Back