How do I remove this oiler from the headstock of a SB Heavy 10L?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
View attachment 32500

This question was asked by a SB owner on another forum, not answered directly.

The oil cup on the right side of a Heavy 10 headstock is screwed into the adaptor bushing and then pressed into the headstock as an assembly. If the cup will not rotate around, you must pull the cup bushing and then press it back in.
I damaged mine, as others have, trying to unscrew it (luckily I bought other gits oilers).

How would you pull the bushing using, I presume, a slap hammer and how would you press it back in WITHOUT CAUSING DAMAGE.
(Photos would be awesome if you have any!)

Thanks,

Nelson

Not familiar with whats behind the pressed in bushing, and this would also entail removing/destroying the oil cup first, so I dont know whether this method is practical, but you can remove pressed in parts by packing the hole with grease and then using a "close sliding fit", pin punch, tap it into the hole. The hydraulic action will pop the part right out.

cheers Phil

Grab it with something soft , if you want to preserve it, and give it a twist. A combination of twisting and pulling should pull it right out.

Randy

If a plug is turned to fit closely inside, it will prevent crushing. Most of these oil cups are thin, plated steel and do not grip tightly in the hole. I believe they could be pulled out as Randy said.

I too have three broken (got it that way) for years I have been stuffing hefty squirts of oil in there. I got one out
carefully using easy out. Havent done it yet, but I think ill tap it- brass elbow with a short nipple like a stand pipe,
then a screw on cap that will tripple its oil capacity. Ill never know why then didnt tap these. Those days one could
buy these oilers in a hardward store now its online which i hate. Then I just may turn the threads off of this (street)
elbow an tap it in, there is no pressure on this except to hold oil. The only thing I dont like with the easy out is they
want to swell it compounding the problem I may grind a hacksaw blade backwards and try and slit it. WITH my
vacuum cleaner of course.

I too have three broken (got it that way) for years I have been stuffing hefty squirts of oil in there. I got one out
carefully using easy out. Havent done it yet, but I think ill tap it- brass elbow with a short nipple like a stand pipe,
then a screw on cap that will tripple its oil capacity. Ill never know why then didnt tap these. Those days one could
buy these oilers in a hardward store now its online which i hate. Then I just may turn the threads off of this (street)
elbow an tap it in, there is no pressure on this except to hold oil. The only thing I dont like with the easy out is they
want to swell it compounding the problem I may grind a hacksaw blade backwards and try and slit it. WITH my
vacuum cleaner of course.

If you ever get it out, please post letting me see how. I too don't understand why they tapped the left one and not
this one. If I had the guts, I would tap the hole myself so this can never happen again.

:tiphat:Nelson

If you do tap it, and don't want any chips in the hole, give the tap a dollop of grease for the chips to stick to, and clean it off as you go. The chips won't get into the gearbox, or bearing housing....or whatever. This works on Helicoil tapping on heads in situo as well.

Go ahead, Nelson. There's no substitute for experience....go get some!

Short update I am determined my biggest problem is to see the thing . This is the left gitz on the headstock, I managed
with those mini or jewelers screw drivers to get what left of this bushing out and yes it is tapped, I come up with
24tpi. After a long search a zerk greese fitting is the only thing that I can find that screws in. So I ground off the
end took check ball & spring, then cut off (male) threads of a brass 90* street elbow and pressed the zerk into the
elbow. Although the threads were clean (lathe) i still vacuumed it, blew out elbow screw it in - perfect. It now
stands about 1/2 high and where to put oil is about 3/8" which with my eyes I cant miss it and I just about trippled
oil capacity. Oh a brass screw on cap. Ok back to work I am making a bunch of 1 2 3 blocks for a couple of hours,
I stop and visually look in there, and the oil level dropped about 1/8" I am extremly satisfied next , one on the
carriage and leadscrew is going to get it. I really like filling it with no mess. Im more concerned about being feed
with oil than looks.

Part two of the above, I got all of them done yesterday then I bought brass caps, then turned the hex's off
and knurled them, looks like they belong there, so much better to see an oil level.

There is a tool. It is a forked type prying tool that is used to pull the plug the oiler screws into. If you do a search on the South Bend forums on The Practical Machinist site, you should be able to find picture of the tool. There may even be loaner available.

Pete

Back