How Do I Get The Darn Bearing Race Out?

gheumann

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a Syil X4 mill - about 10 years old. The spindle bearings are dead. I have successfully removed the spindle cartridge from the cast head housing. I have successfully removed the spindle from the sleeve that holds the bearings. I have successfully pressed out both inner bearings. I have gotten the lower, larger bearing race out. But there was a "gap" below that race to get my puller jaws into. The upper race has no such gap - there's nothing to grab to pull on.

I saw one YouTube where a guy actually welded a bolt to the race and then pulled it out by the race. Clever, but I don't know how to weld. (Ugh...... its on my list) and don't have ready access to a welder. Before I go that route does anyone have any other ideas?

Hi Gheumann,
blind races are a PITA to get out. heres' 3 ways i get em out...
1: as you stated, i'll weld a bead on the inner portion of the race- the bearing race will shrink upon cooling just a few thousandths, race falls out easily.
2: if the housing is not especially thick, i'll take a heat gun or propane torch and heat the outer housing to expansion until the race comes out
3: if 1&2 are not working or not possible, i get cro-magnon and cut the race with a die grinder. (or scarf it out with an air arc torch)
be careful when cutting the race, i'll just cut the race about 80-90% through its thickness and lay a cold chisel in the groove.
with a swing of the hammer, usually the race will crack, troubling you no more.:)

hopefully you can use one of these methods to get you out of your pickle, if not i'd like to hear what worked for you!

cut the race with a die grinder.
be careful when cutting the race, i'll just cut the race about 80-90% through its thickness and lay a cold chisel in the groove.
with a swing of the hammer, usually the race will crack, troubling you no more.:)

I have also removed several blind races using exactly this method. Sometimes if it's a small bearing, the die grinder isn't even needed, just the cold chisel. Just be careful not to damage the housing with the chisel.

Good luck

Ted

I saw one YouTube where a guy actually welded a bolt to the race and then pulled it out by the race. Clever, but I don't know how to weld. (Ugh...... its on my list) and don't have ready access to a welder. Before I go that route does anyone have any other ideas?

Weld around the inside of the race and it will shrink and fall out.

Hmmm... ;)

I replaced the bearings in my Syil X4+ spindle a few years back. I was able to remove the race by heating the spindle with a heat gun, but just barely. My next attempt would have been to weld a bead to the face of the race.

If I were you would take the spindle out of the mill (easy to do) and take it to a welder if needed. You don't want to get the spindle too hot (like red hot with a torch) for fear of distortion.

Have you found quality bearings? There was one bearing that I was never able to find a good replacement for (the top taper bearing if I remember right). The ones I found were for motorcycle steering heads and are at the bottom end of the quality rating. Not good for 3,000 rpm bearings. The one I did find I had to import from Australia and it was still not a real good bearing. It has more run out than I want and is noisy (and getting worse). I still have all of that info if it would be of help to you. Message me if you want me to dig it out. If you have found a source for quality bearings please let me know. I would like to replace my so-so bearings.

Though it may not be the case.....Sometimes a race with no cutout or gap to get a puller in has a slip fit and the old grease n whatever is holding it.
I have removed some by blowing air behind the race.

Thank you all for the great ideas. That harbor freight puller might have done the job. I am fortunate to live in an Ag area and there are a lot of old timers around who've been fixing tractors and welding up stainless steel tanks, etc - for 40 years. They're hard to find - but I found one. I had prepared a bolt with rounded sloped ends to weld to the race if need be; it wasn't needed. He welded a bead around, let it shrink and the whole thing just about dropped out. (I actually had turned a fixture to support the sleeve and provide room for the race to drop out - there's not a lot of sleeve diameter to work with so it had a recess to center the sleeve over a hole just .005" bigger than the race. We held the two pieces together and banged it on the wood work bench and out came the race. )

I measured it after - it must have shrunk at least .002"!

So - onto the rebuild..... BUT - because I am down and risk losing business (I'm sure as hell losing time) I had ALSO contacted Syil. Those guys are great. They called me today. When the newer model 4 came out they bought the last few old ones from China, for parts I guess. Late today they offered to send me a whole new spindle, for considerably less than a new one would cost. It is already on its way to me. I was blown away - that is great customer service. I will probably complete the rebuild just on principle if the bearings are outrageously expensive- and to see that I can do it without screwing it up - but I'm going to be back up and running (which is priority 1) soon.

Thanks again......
P.S. - My spindle doesn't have taper bearings, even though the manual says it does. Just straight ball bearings. It is rated for 5000 RPM though.....

IMG_3445.JPG

Back