How do I drill a hole across the diameter of a rod?

You need a crotch center. Years back I had one. Can't remember if I made it or bought it. Today, nobody has them listed.

Here is a video showing an application. The guy isn't too safety conscious, but that's another story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz6Tfohv7IE
I never saw a crotch like that. That's probably the quickest way to drill a hole centered across on a shaft that I've ever seen. Great for doing quick jobs of that nature, so long as longitudinal location is not critical..

I never saw a crotch like that. That's probably the quickest way to drill a hole centered across on a shaft that I've ever seen. Great for doing quick jobs of that nature, so long as longitudinal location is not critical..

+1

A new item added to my to do list.

Here's how I'd do it on my drill press.

1 - Put a center in the chuck
2 - Locate a V-block under the chuck using the center to locate the center of the V-block
3 - Clamp V-block in position
4 - Replace center with drill in the chuck
5 - Position part in V-block and clamp
6 - Drill part

If real accuracy is needed, I use a center drill first.

I bought this from Craftsman about 40 years ago, for use with my drill press. There are no identifying marks on it. It came with both a center drill and the center punch. I broke the drill years ago, but a long 1/4 inch center drill would work fine. It's about 1 3/4 at the mouth of the V. It would be pretty easy to duplicate.

There are some Pipe Center Finders on the Internet that are kind of like it. Also take at look at the SPI round bar center finder, P/N 13-150-8

cf.jpg

You just heat the tip really really hot and drive it through the material:roflmao:

I made a fixture for this op. Welded two 6" lengths of angle iron side by side, points up - more or less an M shape. I center the drill bit in the the fixture, clamp the fixture to the drill table, raise the drill bit, and set the rod in the center of the M. Drills pretty close to center every time. Cheap and easy, like me.:))

Tom

Thanks again for all the excellent ideas. I am finding that the tooling and fixtures are the most interesting and creative part of this hobby. Figuring out how to do a job may be more fun than actually doing the job.

[video=youtube;cBYQmaeI-VU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYQmaeI-VU[/video]

Back