How Do I Crown This Wheel?

rwm, so are you implying I not even crown this drive wheel because my tracking wheel is crowned? Because I'd be all for that if you think the belt would track.

George, when you say a "smooth rounded crown", do you mean one large radius as I did on my tracking wheel or a flat in the middle then slowly reduced at the edges?

I mean a continuously smooth radius over the entire width of the wheel. A flat center would be a 3 part crown.

Crown your drive wheel too,as well as your tracking wheel. This is how my Wilton Square Wheel grinder is made.

By the way,in spite of the couple thousand dollar price,I had to remove the large drive wheel,and true it up,too. hat did not make me happy. Eventually,I found out that,like EVERYTHING ELSE Wilton sells,the belt grinder is made in Taiwan!!! Then,they STILL charge an arm and a leg for their stuff. I think they are riding the name for all it's worth. That is my opinion.

rwm, so are you implying I not even crown this drive wheel because my tracking wheel is crowned? Because I'd be all for that if you think the belt would track.

George, when you say a "smooth rounded crown", do you mean one large radius as I did on my tracking wheel or a flat in the middle then slowly reduced at the edges?
In my limited experience they *usually* track ok with only one wheel crowned.

I'd have to go look,but I know the large drive wheel on my Wilton is crowned since I had to true it up and re crown it. The tracking wheel may not be crowned,but it is too late since you have already crowned it. I don't think it'l matter.

Actually I mis-spoke! Only the tracking wheel on my grinder is crowned. The large drive wheel is flat. I got that advice from Mark Frazier in his thread. Now that I think about it I initially crowned the drive wheel and later machined it off. I was concerned the double crowns would distort the belts. It tracked fine both ways. You can always go back and crown the drive wheel later but I don't think you will need to.
26144986724_c30b051ba9_h.jpg

R

Back