How do I attach my indicators to my magnetic base?

Iron Filing

Registered
Registered
You'll probably laugh when you see this, but I purchased some used indicators and a base and I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach them to the base. The base just has a screw which seems to be welded/glued in and a nut.

Here are some photos. Maybe some of you have an idea.

Thanks

IMG_3503.jpegIMG_3504.jpegIMG_3505.jpegIMG_3506.jpeg

The small DTI's will have dovetails, the attachment is in it's case, right side last picture
You can slide clamp onto 5/16" mag base arm .
The larger diameter one looks special without the normal lug on back but it can still be mounted on the shaft above plunger

So for the big indicator with the stud remove the threaded stud which is meant for a lugged back.
IMG_3503.jpg
For the test indicator, if the rod supplied will lock in where you removed the stud, if it does, then use it and then the supplied dovetail.
If not, make a new bar that has a step down from the 3/8 to 5/16 (I think).
IMG_3503_2.jpg

BTW , it would have helped to see the backs of the indicators, not their faces.

A lot depends on what you are measuring. Also what you are mounting the indicator on; workbench, surface plate, lathe, mill, etc.

There are 100’s of different ways to mount indicators. None of them are wrong. Some are just easier to set up. Others are more rigid. The “right way” to do it is the way that works for you.

You don’t always have to use the mag base. Most who use indicators are machinists. All of the machinists I have worked with have fabricated their own adapters to do what they need to do.

The more you use your indicators, the more you will see the short comings of the as supplied adapters.

The large dial indicator is a Federal i believe. Backs are available with a regular lug. Four small #4-40 philips head screws hold it's current back on, and will hold just about any other back on.

Just to complicate things all the rods on the bases are not the same diameter. Older ones Like Starrett and B&S are imperial sizes most generally 3/8". Newer ones are metric as in 10 mm. I have over a dozen different bases from a variety of manufacturers. In many cases the imperial clamps won't fit on the metric rods. In other cases, it requires a bushing inside a metric clamp for it to tighten on an imperial rod. Several industrial supply houses sell the bushings individually or in sets.

Yep that's the dovetail holder.
You may have some other 'interesting' parts in that case, maybe another pic or two with things spread out?
The main upright rod is usually 3/8" but the arms more likely to be 5/16".
I've used old Pontiac 389 pushrods when I needed a 'special' length
There was a series spread over 2~3 months in Model Engineers Workshop early 90's where they made a multitude of different holders and mounting brackets, I used a few of the drawings for idea's when I needed some for truing motorcycle wheels to levels not normally seen (less than 0.010", service limit between 1/16 and 1/8" depending on manufacturer and wheel type.) Also used them on bicycle wheels.
I have a video on You tube from about 8~10 years ago, sound is terrible plus I refined the angle lever and wheel since then

Last edited:
You'll probably laugh when you see this, but I purchased some used indicators and a base and I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach them to the base. The base just has a screw which seems to be welded/glued in and a nut.

Here are some photos. Maybe some of you have an idea.

Thanks
Take a look at tis video, it should answer a lot of your questions:

Also, check out Mr. Pete's videos (search for "indicators" or "how to use an indicator")

Back