[How do I?] How Can I Make Threads On A Rod Without A Lathe?

If I was in your shoes.....I'd farm it out. Less stress and prolly more cost effective.

If I was in your shoes.....I'd farm it out. Less stress and prolly more cost effective.
I looked into that but they want too much just for setup fees. I'm looking for an economical way to do these on a sporadic schedule.

I would get bolt dies for the Ridged . You can take them in and out from the same head you do pipe.

So, what exactly are these for, how many do you need all together, and how often to you need them? These answers will yield better solutions. Just wanna see the big picture.

The Rigid pipe threading machine would be the fastest method because of the speed of clamping and threading. The only question in my mind is if it would clamp something as small as 7/16' OD.
Scott

Yup, they are a bolt threading machine also with the right dies.

7/16" rod is quite cheap if bought in lengths from a steel supplier. Were it me, I would buy a quantity and farm the threading out to someone with the right equipment. You didn't say what the total number of pieces was but if you get up into the 100 -200 pieces, the cost per piece shouldn't be too bad.

Can you change the design of the rest of the part and use pre-threaded 7/16" rod?

I ordered some dies cheap on ebay for the ridgid threader. I hope that works out.
Thanks for all the input.

Back