[How do I?] How Can I Make Threads On A Rod Without A Lathe?

ksp

Registered
Registered
I have to make 7/16 threads on a rod but I don't have a lathe and I have to do too many to use a normal die. Is there anything else that I can get to do this economically. I will be doing this part which is a 19" rod with threads on each end on and off perhaps 10 at a time. I was thinking of some kind of device that would slide over the top of the rod to keep the threading straight. Normally I would use a die but there will be just too many to do that. Any ideas?

With out a lathe or using a die. All thread would by about the only other solution.

1" schedule 40 pipe has an id just over 1" you could possibly drill and tap some holes around the circumference at the end of a 1" pipe nipple, use setscrews to hold a 1"round die in the center. then drill a 7/16" hole dead center of pipe cap and attach it to the other end. Feed the rod through the hole in the cap and it will line up center with the die. you could hold the die jig in a vise and run the rod in by chucking it in a drill, you can drive the rod from the threaded end by using a coupling nut and a short piece of threaded rod chucked in the drill. Hope that makes sense.

You dont say how long the thread is but I would do what Eddy suggested but with a handle welded to the pipe and hold the rod in the vice.
What you are really doing here is making a simple die holder similar to the big plumbers versions.

They make bolt thread dies for a rigid pipe machine.

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into them. My brother does have a rigid pipe threading machine.
Eddy, I'm gonna think about that, it might work for me, thanks.

The Rigid pipe threading machine would be the fastest method because of the speed of clamping and threading. The only question in my mind is if it would clamp something as small as 7/16' OD.

Scott

Do you have any scrap rod? The 1/2 and 3/4 pipe thread pitch is 14 TPI. If You have an adjustable threading head available for the Ridgid threader you might be able use it to cut your threads. Worth a try depending on the use and tolerance you can live with. You'll have to thread a little longer because of the taper on the cutters.

Back