How Can I Drill Into Hardened Steel Calipers?

I WILL NOT recommend carbide tipped MASONRY BITS for drilling holes in calipers. They make TOO MUCH HEAT. You don't want your jaws warped askew. When they close,there should be NO LIGHT seen between the jaws. And you can see a TEN THOUSANDTH INCH of light through 2 flat steel surfaces. Get a decent straight flute solid carbide drill. It won't break your bank,and if you don't break it,will be useful to have around. I drilled mine that way years ago to mount calipers on my then mill drill. It worked fine.

hardened steel can have a hole poked in it with a carbide rotary file.

I WILL NOT recommend carbide tipped MASONRY BITS for drilling holes in calipers. They make TOO MUCH HEAT. You don't want your jaws warped askew. When they close,there should be NO LIGHT seen between the jaws. And you can see a TEN THOUSANDTH INCH of light through 2 flat steel surfaces. Get a decent straight flute solid carbide drill. It won't break your bank,and if you don't break it,will be useful to have around. I drilled mine that way years ago to mount calipers on my then mill drill. It worked fine.
If it's mounted to the machine why would it matter? Your just setting relative 0 anyways.

I was drilling some unknown steel the other day. It was very soft & cutting like butter with long curly chips from my 1/8 drill for 3/16" when it hardened & I couldn't drill past that point even with carbide. I had to use a larger drill to go around it & chip that spot that hardened out. Nice piece of metal. I just have to remember to keep it cool because it air hardens right now.

Just a thought , see if I raise any commotion. Would a plasma cutter shoot a hole if mounted with a quick jog of the switch? I know the heat but it could be done with a heat sink around the column of the vernier .

Glad to see you gotta' hole in that SS...Next time, like some said above, after center "divet" (don't work hrdn this either!) solid carbide twist drill running straight and no (or as little as possible) runout...cutting fluid (rapid tap or whatever)...rpm not to slow, not to fast (LOL).... peck and cut, peck and cut (make sure you cut because "rub" = heat = work hardens some materials (like some SS bad) = not fun!

Back