Horizontal vs Vertical Compressor and Tank

Anyone mount their compressor separate from the tank? Why/Why not?

I would think most of us here are small home shops that buy a unit with the compressor mounted on the tank.
Offhand, people might split it up to fit in a specific space, or to put the compressor in a sound-deadening enclosure. And then there are the people who cobble something together with stuff they make and/or buy, so the compressor may not be readily able to mount on the tank.

Eastwood sells a 'gas tank sealer' kit. I believe this could help preserve air tanks as well. In my business there have been many air tanks both vertical & horizontal that are out in the elements & only drained once a month. Somehow failures were not catastrophic. I've disposed of a 120 gallon horizontal tank right into my garage. It is clean in & out. It is 1/4" thick wall. It will make a great shop compressor tank!

Which did you find:
-a 120 gallon horizontal air tank with 1/4 thick wall
or
-a 120 gallon horizontal tank with 1/4 thick wall that you are going to use as an air tank

Yeah, Dave, it was always an air tank.

But the coating by the vendor costs more than the tank.

Eastwood sells a 'gas tank sealer' kit. I believe this could help preserve air tanks as well. In my business there have been many air tanks both vertical & horizontal that are out in the elements & only drained once a month. Somehow failures were not catastrophic. I've disposed of a 120 gallon horizontal tank right into my garage. It is clean in & out. It is 1/4" thick wall. It will make a great shop compressor tank!

I checked with several places that make gas tank sealers, Most of them were NOT water proof. I did call Eastwood and they said that their gas tank sealer kit would be diffivult to use but it would work on a compressor air tank. and seal the inside from future water contact. Part of the kit is a chemical rust remover to get the existing rust out of the tank before sealing it.

Yep, & not too cheap either. 1 kit is good for a 20 gallon tank. So the price ads up.

Look up steam locomotive explosions, makes an air compressor look like a fire cracker...think of a 200,000 pound chunk of iron flying throuh the air a half mile.

Back