Honden L-450 info needed

Gday all i have just joined and after some info on the honden, i also have a manual if anyone needs
I need to get a new motor for mine but the talley plate is stuff. Can anyone give me the rpm specs and shaft diameter please

As a rule, not hard and fast.

Most lathes in the smaller sizes run 1/3, 1/2, and 3/4 Horse power. Physical size of the motor will roughly indicate which one, as will your preferences. I have a Craftsman 12X36 running on 1/3 HP, but I do light work. Sears recommended 1/2 HP long ago. My Grizzly G-1550 has a 3/4 HP motor.

Frame is usually NEMA-56, shaft is usually 5/8, although a 1/2 shaft occasionally turns up. That should be easy to measure. 5/8 inch will show up as an even metric measurement, 16mm I think.

Speed is usually 1800 (1745) for 4 pole motors. That's in the states at 60 cycles. In areas with 50 cycle power(the rest of the world), the speed will be a little slower. Nominal speed at 1500, actual speed is less slip at 1450 RPM, more or less. Horsepower is pretty much unchanged from 50 to 60 cycles.

There are occasional 2 pole motors at 3600(3450) RPM used on machine tools, but that is rare. Using the 4 pole motor is safe for those rare machines. They'll just run slowly.

Gday all i have just joined and after some info on the honden, i also have a manual if anyone needs
I need to get a new motor for mine but the talley plate is stuff. Can anyone give me the rpm specs and shaft diameter please
Can I please get a copy of the manual? Thanks.

Here is the manual this way its available for everyone, let me know if it works

Attachments

• Honden lathe.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 800
@Thunderstruck87

It works for me!
I also put it on the "downloads" section here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/honden-lathe-l-450-and-l-450e.3313/

I gave you credit.
Thanks for sharing it!

-brino

Not to stir the pot and this is an old thread but that copy of the manual being distributed on this site posted above is actually my copy and scan. I can tell by the pencil notes written in that manual and the last pic is my Starrett square where I used a lacquer pencil to paint the logo, I must have sent him a link to my manual in the past. I hope people find the manual useful. Here's a pic of both together on page 7 with pencil marks.
50215147207_fccd2781bb_c.jpg

If someone wants to see the original manual online without downloading it, go to this imgur photo album of the manual. click on any page to enlarge it.

This is my lathe (old pic) and have been using it a lot lately, it's been a very good little lathe. Great info above about finding a set of gears at little machine shop. I already have a full set but nice to know where I can replace if needed.

If your looking for a quick change tool post (QCTP), the perfect size for it is OXA (#250-000); many sell this size and definitely recommend the wedge type over the piston type. However, having said that I did mill off .125" off the top of the compound rest and tapped it with a M8 thread to accommodate the QCTP. I cant recommend it enough and have been very happy since adding it.

One of the biggest issues with this lathe is the spindle thread, it's far from standard and you won't find any chucks or backplates with that thread at
Little Machine Shop. The thread is a EU DIN type standard and most likely you will need to mill your own thread onto a new backplate on a lathe to accommodate a new check, please correct me if I' wrong. If you have a source for chucks with this thread that doesn't cost more than the lathe, please share it!

Another problem to keep an eye on is the Lead Screw shear pin (see page 15 in manual), keep an eye on it but more the bronze bushing that the pin fits into, the slot on mine was shattered because previous user installed a steel pin and had crashed it and had to make a new bronze keyed bushing. If your having problems with the lead screw moving the carriage and it's not always turning, check the shear pin bushing inside the gear.

Having said that I've come across many lathes in this approx size and find the Honden a much higher quality build and been happy with the final finish I get when using the correct carbide tool and set up.
20894299014_a264d36df2_b.jpg

Pic of QCTP and finish
50214210383_897b0516b3_z.jpg

Last edited:
ot to stir the pot and this is an old thread but that copy of the manual being distributed on this site posted above is actually my copy and scan. I can tell by the pencil notes written in that manual and the last pic is my Starrett square where I used a lacquer pencil to paint the logo, I must have sent him a link to my manual in the past. I hope people find the manual useful. Here's a pic of both together on page 7 with pencil marks.

Well then thanks to you @silverchips for providing the scanned copy of the manual!
It is great when people help out others.

You sure got a great finish on that shaft!

-brino

Back