honda 200cc

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
maybe one of you guys can help, im stumped on this one, 1980 honda 3 wheeler 200cc, new coils lower end new coil upper side new cdi module new kill and headlight switch, still no spark to plug, checked flywheel alittle rusty got used flywheel magnets are strong installed still no spark, any guesses:thinking:Mac

Check the resistance to common (that's ground in other words). Paint or rust can hurt spark due to low voltage. Can you excite the coils by applying power or shorting out?

well i was kinda scared to do that, was afraid i would blow something will check ground again that was my 1st thought then i guess i will check the continuity in each wire maybe there is a break:thinking:thank you Mac

i tested the coil prior to installing by using a multimeter , when using these i'm not the best, i took a prob to coil wire and one to the connector where the power wire hooks and the needle moved up, i think that tells me fire will flow through it lol:biggrin:Mac

Maybe check the connector that comes out from the stator. Corrosion on the contacts between the connectors?

Also saw a note about the pickup coil should have 320 ohms. Check that by itself just the two wires going to the pickup coil.

Also test the pickup coil by testing the voltage out, by turning the engine over and you should see the voltage swing up and down as the magnets sweep by the pickup coil. If the coil works then start looking at that CDI unit.

Be sure the wires to the switches are in good shape and not rubbed bare some where in the steering stem area.

will do PD tomorrow is sepose to be nice here so going to roll it out in the sun, this body needs the sun like a hounddog on dry grass lol, i got three of these and the other 2 i got running with no problems, it has a new cdi box on it but will recheck it to make sure its not bad, i will recheck the lower coils and see if im getting fire when cranked thank you much:biggrin::biggrin:Mac

You say you replaced the "lower coils" now that should be an exciting coil and a lighting coil am I right? If so check that exciting coil as they are know to go bad. If I remember right they have just one black & red wire. And I hope you didn't replace it with one of those cheap Chinese ones. Anyway it should have about 244 ohms if I remember right from my days when I used to work on those things.

You say you replaced the "lower coils" now that should be an exciting coil and a lighting coil am I right? If so check that exciting coil as they are know to go bad. If I remember right they have just one black & red wire. And I hope you didn't replace it with one of those cheap Chinese ones. Anyway it should have about 244 ohms if I remember right from my days when I used to work on those things.
right, one runs the headlights and the other ignition, it was not a cheap one, 162,00 for the coils and plate they were preassembled:biggrin:Mac

Back