Homemade Brass Punch???

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good morning,well for now I am moving on since we decided to go ahead and replace the bushing for the feed shaft and the lead screw for the Colchester lathe.
So while I wait for them I have been thinking about a good set of brass punches. But I have no ideal what brass to purchase to make a small stout set,up to maybe 3/4 dia.What have ya'll done for your custom set of brass punches?Thanks guys----kroll

I was given a inexpensive set of punches made from mystery brass years ago from my Dad. No idea where they were made. Probably overseas. I wouldn't trust them to stand up to any real use. I've only used them a few times before I got into machining. I do use my Starrett and Lufkin (US made) punches regularly. I got a large piece of scrap copper roof flashing from the junkyard and have cut all sorts of small shims to protect things I'm screwing down on or hammering. I also have several lead blocks that work well for nudging things into place. I would use a 660 bronze if I needed to make a punch for a odd job. Perhaps a aluminum bronze or leaded steel if you need it to be tougher. Guess it depends on how much you will be beating on it.

I haven't had any sets of brass punches. I can't afford the brass. I have a piece of brass I pulled out of a water heater 30 years ago that I've gaurded that I use as a drift when I need it. I sometimes drill the end of a rod & put a small brass tip in it to use. Small brass round is pretty cheap & a length of it goes a long ways for me.

Is the bushing something you could press out on a arbor press?

I've made some from the stems of old gate valves- I think it's bronze and has held up well. It takes some doing to get them out.

Your right about brass being expensive,but if and when I order a piece it can be order in different lengths.So maybe what is left over could be a punch,and do some knurling while making them.gi_984 I have the bushings out,while removing them and ordering them I was just thinking about brass punches.Here's a link to that problem http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/when-to-say-bushing-needs-replacing.41851/ several good ideals

If I were going to make a set which you have me wanting to now(dang you), I'd make then of steel & drill to thread the end. Then if turn a nice tip for each size. If the sides need protected that would call for something a little different.

A good source of cheap brass is stuff like cheap Indian candle sticks and the like that you can get at the thrift store.

Good morning,well for now I am moving on since we decided to go ahead and replace the bushing for the feed shaft and the lead screw for the Colchester lathe.
Make a nice puller. Just some all tread rod, a stepped washer that pilots in your bushing and clears the hole, and a sleeve for the other side to pull the bushing into. It takes a bit of time to make, but you are guaranteed to do no damage and you can use the same tool to install the new bushing.

Back