1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Home made power scraper

Discussion in 'MACHINE RESTORATION & WAY SCRAPING' started by Holescreek, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Holescreek

Holescreek Active User Active Member

City:
    Centerville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I haven't done any scraping in a long time but though I'd share how I made my own power scraper.

scraper010.jpg

The whole project is based on a variable speed Harbor Freight sawzall where the saw blade is replaced by a carbide tipped insert. The only difficult part is modifying the reciprocating mechanism to make the stroke adjustable.

scraper001.jpg

After disassembling and cleaning I decided to remove the fixed post and milled a dovetail slot so I could add an adjustable bearing post in its place.

scraper006.jpg

scraper007.jpg

The inset is brazed onto a mild steel flat bar ad ground just as you would for hand scraping.

scraper008.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

scraper009.jpg

At first it was a little choppy until I settled on an 1/8" stroke and learned to cradle the sawzall on top of my forearm with the handle resting against the inside of my elbow. I use my free hand to help guide the blade while the hand underneath is supporting the weight. After a little experimenting it became natural and what took days by hand was done in a couple of hours.

Scraping002.jpg

There used to be a video of me using it online somewhere, not sure where it is now.

Attached Files:

2. astjp2

astjp2 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Pleasant View
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

Too bad you don't make the conversion parts for us who don't have time or the tools to make our own. Tim

brino likes this.
  3. bcall2043

bcall2043 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Middle TN
    State:
    Tennessee

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the post. I just picked a reciprocating saw with a bad motor at the scrap yard a week or so ago. My thought was to try the same approach as you have. You have proved the concept and I now have the mechanism to play with (read "ruin") before I spend the money to ruin a good one.

Any other suggestions or thoughts about attempting to copy your project?

Benny
    The Orphanage Never Closes

4. Holescreek

City:
    Centerville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Just be prepared to hear "it will never work" a lot.

5. Dresden

Dresden United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    St Paul

-Return to Top-

That surface looks scratched not cut, a Biax scraper has ergonomics designed for the job the saw is designed for a different use, if you use both side to side you will see the difference.

6. Holescreek

City:
    Centerville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

To each their own. If I was scraping for a living I would show up with proffesional equipment. Since I'm not even a wana-be machine tool builder I used what made sense. I've scraped enough by hand to know the action is the same, its not been an issue for me. People sink a lot of money in specialty equipment just for bragging rights.

brino likes this.
  7. tertiaryjim

tertiaryjim Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Naturita
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Have seen a post by another member who did the same. Perhaps that was you.
    This is something I would like to do when I have the time.
    Tool geometry and speed could perhaps be adjusted for a better job.
    All the time saved could be used for making more tools. OH BOY!

4gsr and Ulma Doctor like this.
  8. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

No two scrappings will ever look alike , unless done by a machine. Hand scrapping is just that each person who does scrapping will create there own lines or design pattern. Even tho it's straight line , the whole idea is to get the surface flat and leave tiny scratching for oil to lay in. I've seen real beautiful patterns and others where the lines cross and no lines straight hardly at all. Just remember they're for oil not appearance. At least that's what I've learned over the past forty years.

9. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Who cares if it is scratched. I've been doing this kind of stuff since I was 15 years old! And I still scratch! and I own a Biax, too!

Go easy on these guys. We can use some pointers to do better. We want to learn. Most of us here are not able to go out and buy the 'good tools of the trade' to do the job right. But we getting better and smarter!

10. Kernbigo

Kernbigo United States Active User Active Member

City:
    so. beloit
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

try it by hand and you will see how hard it is, the surfaces is only oil pockets , to get a good looking job i always switched to the half mooner for looks, did it for 30 some years, don't knock the guy.

Old junk, cathead, 4gsr and 2 others like this.
  11. Old junk

Old junk United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Hackettstown
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Making a tool to do a job is why we are here.i like it.few things feel as good as using a tool you made.

brino likes this.
  12. Dabbler

Dabbler H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

nice work